News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

Lesson of the day..

Started by gman47564, February 16, 2023, 10:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman47564

Boys and girls.. children all over the world.. whatever you do don't don't try using lymann walnut media in a vibratory to remove bullet lube on loaded cast bullets.. lol
 I loaded a couple hundred 45 acp rounds the other day and after I got them loaded I thought I would throw them in a vibratory and let them run in walnut media a hour or so to remove the excess bullet lube on them from casting and sizing the bullet and did..
After about a hour I pulled one out and it looked like it had been powder coated with red walnut media dust.. crap.. so I ran them a couple more hours.. didn't help.. got them out of that stuff and put them in corn cobb media.. let them run in it for a few hours.. it took some of it off but not near all of it.. so I let them run several more hours .. still didn't help much.. so today I had to take a rag.. a little propane tourch.. heat the bullet up a second then wipe all the crap off the bullet.. not fun... lol but I got them cleaned up and learned a lesson.. 😂

Grant

eas1949

That's not a bad idea!!  That walnut coating should keep the barrel nice and clean.  Package some up and maybe sell it on EBAY.  Nut-Clean?    ;D

Eric
NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

mnbogboy

At least you wont have to color the bullets to identify them on a target!
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Ray VanDervort

I hope you heated the primer's red hot to soak the heat up on the tip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

autoxforfun

Heating up a loaded bullet with a touch...you are a braver man than I...lol

I would have put some brake clean on a rag and wiped them down....just saying 🙂
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

gman47564

Lol. I didn't get them very warm.. just warm enough to soften that gunk..
Grant

Mark611

2 things you have done I would never do 8)