News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

scopes for BR 600 yard and maybe F class as well

Started by flexible, January 26, 2023, 02:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flexible

Hi everyone, flexible here.
Having a 7mm PRC built and started doing my scope research.
The usual scary costs and all quite heavy.
Looking at: Nightforce 12-42x56 Benchrest, March D50V56T, Sightron SVIII FFP 5-40x56.
They're all about $3k except for the Nightforce.
Any recommendations or why is the Nightforce so much cheaper - half the price of the others
thanks

LeadHammer

My guess is glass quality. I have never looked through any of those however.

Stugotz

I own 3 Nightforce 15-55x56 Comps and they are fantastic scopes! I shoot 1000 yard F-class and have never felt I'm giving much if anything to March or any of the other top end glass manufactures.
Yes, I realize speling is a chalunge for sum of us...I am inkluded in that grup, so pleze fourgiv me. Ski-U-Mah!

jvw2008

I believe the NF 12-40 has been discontinued. Its a very good scope. I shoot March and NF Competition scopes. Like Stugotz, I don't think I'm giving anything up with the NF Competition 15-55 and it is reasonably priced. You don't need that much scope for 600 but it is always good to have it in reserve.

Another scope you might consider is the Vortex Golden Eagle. Very cost effective but the glass is not quite as good as the NF offering.

LeadHammer

I always thought NF and Leopold seemed nice and bright for me. I don't own any of those however. My budget would not allow it. Almost got a NF SHV, but they could use a refreshing so went with an Athlon. ( the glass is only ok. The rest works well.)
Khales and March seem to be names I see online. Maybe one day I will have a high end optic.

eas1949

NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

DHuffman

I run two NF NXS 12-42s, they are discontinued. I also have 5 Vortex Golden Eagles.
The NF glass is sharper than the GE however I've never felt the GE was at a disadvantage at either 600 or 1000 yards.
My smallest 5 shot 600 yard group (.865") was with the GE so it's more than capable.
In good conditions I can see bullet holes at 600 with any of them.

I think the NF BR 12-42 is still in production. King Richard Schatz runs at least one. With his credentials I would not be afraid to shoot one. They focus on the front bell vs the side focus on most high end scopes and with my short arms I think I'd be bumping the gun every time I reached for it. That is the only reason I have not tried one.
Dave

LeadHammer

I have an old Bausch and Lomb 4000 6-24, it has the adjustable bell, it certainly is annoying compared to the little side knobs.

Bullet Jockey

The reason March scopes tend to be more costly is because they are a very small company that doesn't mass manufacture and keep a high inventory like the others. They offer a wide range of scopes with a wide range of reticle options. Whereas the other companies offer 2-3 scopes with 2-3 reticle options. You are basically getting a one off made scope.

The Sightron you posted is a FFP scope...they tend to cost more than a SFP.

Scopes are an individual thing honestly...try as many as possible before settling on "the best". The best for me may be something completely different for you.

My list based off my experiences with Fclass/BR type scopes would look something like this.. 

1.NF Comp....Great glass/retcle designs/tracks/holds POI....at least mine do.
2.March HM...Great glass, some of the older stuff can be dark.I have two of the new Majestas on order. Should be awesome!
3.Kahles...scope is a tank, glass sucks, great reticle design.
4.Sightron..just a good everyday type scope...does everything just ok.
5.Vortex Golden Eagle..Good thing Vortex has a great warranty, you'll probably need it sooner than later and the glass sucks biggly for me.

I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelers. This is just a small review based on my personal experiences...yours may differ and that's okay too.

jvw2008

No butt hurt here. Your first statement is 100% correct. I've seen lots of guys follow the crowd on a new scope "fad". Spend gobbs of money and two years later they have sold that scope and bought something different. You ask them what's better about the scope they changed to and they say - "don't know for sure, just feels better. "

Best advice for anyone looking is to ask what others are using and why, then go try two or three that fit your objectives and budget  before you buy.

LeadHammer

Kahles, what would the glass compare to? Just curious. 
Edit. Sorry this was for Bullet Jockey, but for anyone else as well.

jvw2008

BJ's post is a prime example of the need to evaluate for yourself. For him, the Kahles glass "sucks". For many other shooters I've spoken with they say it's the best glass out there. I don't shoot a Kahles scope so I don't have an opinion.

The assessment of a scope is literally, "in the eye of the beholder".

DHuffman

The Vortex GE is not my favorite scope however my smallest IBS match group ever was shot with one.
Glenn K holds 8 IBS 1000 yard HG records with one. Glenn also set at least 1 if not two  more records the next season but I'm not sure what scope he used.
I agree it's not the best glass but if you dial back to a decent picture it's easy to bracket the white "box" and center the dot where the tiny blue X lives. You don't have to resolve the little blue X to hold on it.

The biggest selling point IMO is that many of them get regularly tested by shooters for reticle movement on recoil and reticle movement on recoil after windage and elevation changes.

I've never heard of one not passing the test. I'd rather have that than better glass IF I could only pick one.

You can't hurt my feelings Norm everyone says I don't have any 😂
Dave

LeadHammer

Dave, I bet you had some feelings when you hit the ditch yesterday.......lol

jvw2008

Think that post was meant to go in the Winter thread. Good one Leadhammer. I got a giggle from it cause I was trying to think of something to say to pull Dave's chain. You beat me to it. 👍