News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

SEB NEO X

Started by Bullet Jockey, January 09, 2023, 04:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHuffman

I'm not familiar enough with F Class to know what the difference would be so I'll leave it at that but know what my experience has shown me.
Dave

jvw2008

Between what you have related and the excellent reviews regarding how smoothly the NEO X operates, I'm still quite interested in checking it out.

I understand what Sebastian is saying about the reasons for the articulation being of benefit in F Class. I'm not convinced there isn't a benefit on the bench as well.

Bullet Jockey

I gotta go along with Dave's assessment because it's hard to put into words that doesn't turn into some huge word salad.

All I can tell you is the articulating head is a plus for a Fclass shooter. It's hard to get the rest perfectly squared with a thousand yard target when all three feet are drove in the ground 2". Shooting off a concrete bench is just a tap here or a tap there.....The less recoil the more you can get away with in your setup...300's don't allow for much margin for errors.

How much ear tension does a typical BR setup run? Can you lift the gun freely out of the bags or is there some drag? In Fclass the rule states the rifle has to be removed from the rest effortlessly...or something along those lines....I run mine loose just to be safe.

Jerry, don't worry about thread direction....I think discussion is great and we all benefit from it!!

DHuffman

From your description I'd say ear tension rules are similar.

I run mine fairly tight on the Randolph and the Sinclair but rarely use the Sinclair anymore.

When I had the JJ with the Edgewood JJ bag there was no way it was rule compliant. I shot it a few times but quit it before I got DQ'd
Dave

jvw2008

IBS has relaxed their rules on front ear tension. Don't know about NBRSA.

Seems like the tighter you run front ear tension the more advantageous the articulation would be, especially if those ears are packed hard with sand.

jvw2008

Still thinking about the tracking of the rifle through front and rear bags with and without an articulating front rest. Since a rifle is not flexible, I will stand on the statement that it is physically impossible to move the forearm laterally without changing the way (the direction)that the stock tracks through the rear bag. If it was traveling straight before lateral movement it's not traveling straight through the rear ears after the lateral movement.

Dave made an observation that I've gone back to:

" The articulating head has a place in BR in my opinion. I think it keeps the gun from getting bound up or out of square with the rear bag."

It makes sense to me that the articulating head allows the forearm to not get bound up. It's rational and follows the same principle as a moveable sizing die in a CoAx press. That system frees the die up from possible inappropriate press influences thus, allowing the die to do its job. Much like a floating die, articulating front bags allow the forearm to follow is contact points without interference.

Relative to movement through the rear bag, I suspect that even though lateral movement of the forearm changes the direction of travel of the rear of the stock, the ears of the rear bag are possibly less influential on how the whole rifle tracks. Possibly because the rear bag ears are less rigid against the base of the stock.

DHuffman

The amount it gets "out" in the rear would be a fraction of the front
Dave

DHuffman

Quote from: jvw2008 on January 10, 2023, 11:11:13 AMIBS has relaxed their rules on front ear tension. Don't know about NBRSA.

Seems like the tighter you run front ear tension the more advantageous the articulation would be, especially if those ears are packed hard with sand.

I've never seen anyone get spot checked but if I'm ever fortunate enough to shoot a record or win another big time match I'm not getting DQd over something preventable. That being said mine are pretty tight.

I believe the Edge bag is legal for NBRSA so I'd think they may have no rules concerning bag grip on the fore end.
Dave

jvw2008

" I've never seen anyone get spot checked but if I'm ever fortunate enough to shoot a record or win another big time match I'm not getting DQd over something preventable. That being said mine are pretty tight."

As a match director the instruction I've received from the rules committee is:

With vertical lift of the forearm some resistance in the bags is acceptable but not enough to lift the whole rest off the bench.

I think you're safe. 😊 At one of my matches you would be for sure.

jvw2008

Quote from: jvw2008 on January 10, 2023, 12:41:09 PMStill thinking about the tracking of the rifle through front and rear bags with and without an articulating front rest. Since a rifle is not flexible, I will stand on the statement that it is physically impossible to move the forearm laterally without changing the way (the direction)that the stock tracks through the rear bag. If it was traveling straight before lateral movement it's not traveling straight through the rear ears after the lateral movement.

Dave made an observation that I've gone back to:

" The articulating head has a place in BR in my opinion. I think it keeps the gun from getting bound up or out of square with the rear bag."

It makes sense to me that the articulating head allows the forearm to not get bound up. It's rational and follows the same principle as a moveable sizing die in a CoAx press. That system frees the die up from possible inappropriate press influences thus, allowing the die to do its job. Much like a floating die, articulating front bags allow the forearm to follow is contact points without interference.

Relative to movement through the rear bag, I suspect that even though lateral movement of the forearm changes the direction of travel of the rear of the stock, the ears of the rear bag are possibly less influential on how the whole rifle tracks. Possibly because the rear bag ears are less rigid against the base of the stock.

Quote from: HufD63 on January 10, 2023, 02:15:55 PMThe amount it gets "out" in the rear would be a fraction of the front

I wouldn't know how to measure that. The front ears are tightly held in place by their outer metal frame.  For the forearm to move rotationally, the sand in those ears would have to be displaced.  That metal framework not being present on the rear bag ears may allow the sand to simply move away from the pressure. Who knows - it's all speculation.

DHuffman

I don't have to understand it, I've experienced it and believe it to be..... LOL

Dave

Bullet Jockey

I can tell ya this with 100% certainty....leaving the articulating head loose is a no go with a 300WSM.   ;D  ;D

rardoin

Reviving a thread still on life support... ;)

I was able to fondle Jason Cohen's Neo-X this past weekend.  I've been out of the loop for a while and did not think the X was out in public yet.  I accused it of being a Lenzi rest as nothing as sexy as it could be produced by anyone other than the Italians.  What an amazing blend of engineering and art.  Unfortunately Ernie Bishop said he is 12-14 months out on getting one for me.  :(   I may have to look at it like a Ferrari if one pops up for sale used....get one now for well over the list or wait a couple of years for one.  I think it will be worth it.

autoxforfun

A buddy I shoot with got one last year.....took him about 9 months to get it.  I agree, it is a nice piece of equipment.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough