News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

'Pinned and Welded' Question.....

Started by RCoulter52, December 19, 2022, 03:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RCoulter52

Do I have to have a gunsmith pin and weld a flash suppressor to my AR barrel or can I or someone else do it?

Randie
Fort Smith, AR
Only two defining forces have EVER offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. Let's remember them both, always!

Westie1

All depends. If your barrel is 16" or longer, then a flash hider just screws on. If the barrel is under 16" then you should have a gunsmith do it. He'll know how deep to drill for the pin, and how much heat to apply. Otherwise you run the risk of ruining the muzzle end, resulting in the barrel having to be replaced.
Peace was my Profession

RCoulter52

Thank you, Westie1. The barrel is 14½", I have an AR-Stoner Extended A2 Flash Hider (2" plus the thickness of the crush washer, if used) and it is already pre-drilled on the underside. This SHOULD put me over the 16" LEGAL length for a rifle.

Randie
Fort Smith, AR
Only two defining forces have EVER offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. Let's remember them both, always!

VA-XBolt

In the for what it's worth category.

I've got the Silencerco ASR Flash Hiders on my ARs, all of which have a 14.5" barrel (without the flash hider). Allows for quick attachment of the suppressor. In my case, it's a Chimera 300, in .30 caliber. I also used that same system and suppressor for my .300 PRC for an elk hunt two years back.