News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

New creedmoor

Started by mnbogboy, December 10, 2022, 10:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnbogboy

Well the Remington is finished the christiansen arms feather light 6.5 creedmoor barrel is up and mounted!
I had to run the chamber reamer a little to get the  headspace right.when it was torqued down
to their original chamber. Tonight I gotmy best scope the leupy 3 to 18 6xv mounted up on her. I also made 5 dummy cartridges to check feeding through the original long action rummy magazine. Feeding and ejection worked great on a full magazine of 4.
I've rifled a lot of 25-06 through it over the years@ it also worked well with the 6.5-06 barrel and the 6.5 /257 Bob Ackley.
I just picked up a 24 inch 243 barrel for italso. The 243 and creed barrels were bought in desperation to lighten it as I struggled carrying it in deer season here in MN. I found I couldn't walk far without rest ss the chemo has taken its toll on the soles of my feet. All the calused foot skin and the skin on my toes is peeling off! Makes me a real live tenderfoot.
This will be my elk rifle next fall so I will try snd develop a load using the speer gold dots that served me well the yearbefore last
The CA barrel is a 22 inch. I think it started life out as a carbon wrapped barrel and because of wrap separations it was removed as it was replaced. After reading that CA barrels had accuracy problems due to wrap bonding Robles it appears some are replacing these barrels. That's why they are coming gor sale on fle Bay. I read they are shilen barrels that have been turned thin before wrapping. The profile is real thin eithout anything on it. It only weighs about 2.2 pounds as Nebraska I b old weigh it on a bathroom a Cale
Te rem seems much lighter now too.
Can't weight to get shooting.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Bullet Jockey

Sounds like a fun project. Let us know how she shoots.

autoxforfun

Great progress Randy.  Sounds like it is going to be an easy carry.  Will be interested to know how a carbon barrel without the carbon shoots.  I just picked up a 25 cal barrel as well....thinking about following our fearless leader into a 25 CM.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

mnbogboy

Quote from: autoxforfun on December 11, 2022, 04:27:36 PMGreat progress Randy.  Sounds like it is going to be an easy carry.  Will be interested to know how a carbon barrel without the carbon shoots.  I just picked up a 25 cal barrel as well....thinking about following our fearless leader into a 25 CM.
the 25 cm always sounded good to me, twist is importent with the heavy bullets
After researching the CA carbon barrels, delaminating was mentioned as well as their bonding to the barrel, I saw one photo of one offset to one side not centered in the stock . The ebay barrels were not all by themselves but several were up for sale  seller claims they see take offs from s local Smith@ stories all mentioned failure to stay zeroed! No evidence online showing it was once wrapped.
A very thin profile where the weight savings come from. It was only threaded 1/2-28. I used a thread   ad pter to get it back up to 5/8'24 these CA barrels are supposed to be skeletonized shilen barrels also hand lapped! After cleaning with iosso it looks great inside despite some copper from CA test firings.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

mnbogboy

Quote from: mnbogboy on December 10, 2022, 10:21:38 PMWell the Remington is finished the christiansen arms feather light 6.5 creedmoor barrel is up and mounted!
I had to run the chamber reamer a little to get the  headspace right.when it was torqued down
to their original chamber. Tonight I gotmy best scope the leupy 3 to 18 6xv mounted up on her. I also made 5 dummy cartridges to check feeding through the original long action rummy magazine. Feeding and ejection worked great on a full magazine of 4.
I've rifled a lot of 25-06 through it over the years@ it also worked well with the 6.5-06 barrel and the 6.5 /257 Bob Ackley.
I just picked up a 24 inch 243 barrel for italso. The 243 and creed barrels were bought in desperation to lighten it as I struggled carrying it in deer season here in MN. I found I couldn't walk far without rest ss the chemo has taken its toll on the soles of my feet. All the calused foot skin and the skin on my toes is peeling off! Makes me a real live tenderfoot.
This will be my elk rifle next fall so I will try snd develop a load using the speer gold dots that served me well the yearbefore last
The CA barrel is a 22 inch. I think it started life out as a carbon wrapped barrel and because of wrap separations it was removed as it was replaced. After reading that CA barrels had accuracy problems due to wrap bonding Robles it appears some are replacing these barrels. That's why they are coming gor sale on fle Bay. I read they are shilen barrels that have been turned thin before wrapping. The profile is real thin eithout anything on it. It only weighs about 2.2 pounds as Nebraska I b old weigh it on a bathroom a Cale
Te rem seems much lighter now too.
Can't weight to get shooting.

I also psted a couple pictures of my grandson with his buck but cant findwhere i did! I would like to move them to the hunting section

11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

mnbogboy

Well so far this new barrel has not disappointed me! I finally got it hitting the target at 100 yards! After final adjustment it put three in
Nine sixteenths of an inch!
No chronograph results yet!
Was using 140 grain gold dots pushed by 41 grains of H4350!
I think I have to remove the brake to get the magneto speed set up correctly!
I will be using it hunting on Saturday on our opener!
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

mnbogboy

Dave mentioned he was interested in the difference of 4350 & imr4451! Yesterday I got the chronograph working again!
41 grains of 4451 2992 fps
41 grains of H4350 3058 fps
140 grain speer gold dots
22 inch barrel same setting on the powder throw! Amazing both powders are same density by volumn
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

DHuffman

Quote from: mnbogboy on November 03, 2023, 06:02:15 PMDave mentioned he was interested in the difference of 4350 & imr4451! Yesterday I got the chronograph working again!
41 grains of 4451 2992 fps
41 grains of H4350 3058 fps
140 grain speer gold dots
22 inch barrel same setting on the powder throw! Amazing both powders are same density by volumn

Is this a Creedmoor or the 6.5-06
Dave

mnbogboy

Quote from: HufD63 on November 03, 2023, 08:18:14 PMIs this a Creedmoor or the 6.5-06
The creedmoor    the velocity surprised me with 140 grain bullets!  The best they did for me before was about 2800 with more 4350
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

gman47564

You must of had a chrono malfunction or something randy.. the creedmoor isn't going to push a 140 gr. Bullet 3050 fps I don't think.. not without wrecking everything anyway..
Grant

VA-XBolt

Agreed on possible Chrono issues.

In one of my 6.5cm rifles, with the Hornady 140gr ELD-M and 41.4gr H4350, I get 2770 fps

mnbogboy

Quote from: gman47564 on November 03, 2023, 09:33:06 PMYou must of had a chrono malfunction or something randy.. the creedmoor isn't going to push a 140 gr. Bullet 3050 fps I don't think.. not without wrecking everything anyway..
I agree Grant it may be the mag speed. I know it was set real close to the bore centerline. I usually try for about an eighth inch aeay@
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

mnbogboy

Quote from: VA-XBolt on November 04, 2023, 07:24:30 AMAgreed on possible Chrono issues.

In one of my 6.5cm rifles, with the Hornady 140gr ELD-M and 41.4gr H4350, I get 2770 fps

How long of a barrel?
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

VA-XBolt

Quote from: mnbogboy on November 04, 2023, 01:12:16 PMHow long of a barrel?

That rifle has a 24" barrel. Hawk Hill Sendero Barrel, 1:8 twist on a Stiller Action.

LeadHammer

24" barrel
143 ELDx
41.5 H4350
2710 fps here.
Hornady brass
Fed 210