News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

New OAL Bullet Comparator Review (Accuracy One)

Started by VA-XBolt, November 29, 2022, 11:01:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA-XBolt

Thanks to F-Class John for this review of the new OAL bullet comparator from Accuracy One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihQKEdqC09I

$160 plus shipping and insurance. Not listed as a product on their website yet, but looks to be a nice tool, and one I think I'll be happy to have, as opposed to trying to fiddle with calipers.

In order to get one on order, you'll have to call Accuracy One to get on the list. The first 100 have already sold out, and yes I've got mine on order which should be delivered next week. Another 200 should be available within the next couple of weeks. Contact details for Accuracy One are below.

https://www.accuracyone.com/contact/

jvw2008

Does not look any more accurate than the Holland system but probably 3x faster. This is a must have tool for me. 👍

DHuffman

This is another item Curt Knit makes and markets through Accuracy One. Curt gave me one of the first ones he made to try out and I plan to put it to work soon.
Dave

jvw2008

Quote from: HufD63 on November 29, 2022, 01:23:18 PMThis is another item Curt Knit makes and markets through Accuracy One. Curt gave me one of the first ones he made to try out and I plan to put it to work soon.

I figured. 😊

VA-XBolt

Quote from: jvw2008 on November 29, 2022, 12:37:05 PMDoes not look any more accurate than the Holland system but probably 3x faster. This is a must have tool for me. 👍

I had looked at the Holland, but hadn't decided on it yet. Then saw the Accuracy One version, and that was enough for me.

DHuffman

Quote from: VA-XBolt on November 29, 2022, 05:05:02 PM
Quote from: jvw2008 on November 29, 2022, 12:37:05 PMDoes not look any more accurate than the Holland system but probably 3x faster. This is a must have tool for me. 👍

I had looked at the Holland, but hadn't decided on it yet. Then saw the Accuracy One version, and that was enough for me.

The Holland is a little more versatile. You can plug the hole in the base and measure OAL as well as measure base to ogive.

I think it could be rigged to measure bearing surface and base to seater stem as well.
I won't be selling my Holland anytime soon because it's the fastest way I know to sort ogives.
Dave

jvw2008

Yep. I agree. But it's slower by a lot for the OAL sort.

DHuffman

Quote from: jvw2008 on November 29, 2022, 08:40:57 PMYep. I agree. But it's slower by a lot for the OAL sort.

Yes it is, if I turn off the tv or any distractions I can OAL them on a Sinclair dial then BTO them on the Holland and bin them accordingly only handling the bullet 1 time.
The OAL on the Sinclair is not as accurate and trying to classify the bullet two ways on two tools and the amount of bins needed to get through 1k bullets has a high potentiality of putting it in the wrong bin.
Dave

VA-XBolt

Not being an F-Class shooter, I don't know that the base to Ogive measurements and sorting will do much for me. I can sort those using my Forster Datum dial and digital micrometer, but again, not sure that the time expended will be of measureable benefit.

Bullet Jockey

Quote from: VA-XBolt on November 30, 2022, 07:07:57 AMNot being an F-Class shooter, I don't know that the base to Ogive measurements and sorting will do much for me. I can sort those using my Forster Datum dial and digital micrometer, but again, not sure that the time expended will be of measureable benefit.

For me personally BTO sorting has been a waste of time for what I do....sorting bullet OAL helps with BC uniformity at LR. You are basically sorting the meplat diameter in small way... Is the juice worth the squeeze inside of 600yrds...maybe...it depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

jvw2008

For me, during the bullet seating process, my first priority is to seat for precision on target. That means putting the ogive of the bullet exactly where I want it relative to the lands. By sorting BTO, I generate a large group of bullets with the same BTO but with varying meplat length that shows as varying OAL. That varying meplat length will affect how the bullet seats at a particular seater setting, so it is important to me to OAL sort all bullets with the same BTO. When done, I know I have selected bullet groups with the most consistent BC I can generate by sorting. I also have groups that will seat with fairly consistent ogive to lands spacing and I have groups of bullets I can meplat trim and tip. (Don't usually trim).
This whole question boils down to: does a varying ogive position on the bullet affect BC. I don't know but when pushing for my highest precision at 1000 Yds, I'm not going to skip the step of BTO sorting.

LeadHammer

I always though that sorting to ogive was worth the time, and I had a large increase in accuracy when I started doing that myself.  I never sort by bullet OAL. I would think pointing after the ogive sort would be the way to go??

Bullet Jockey

Those that say BTO sorting improves accuracy....how so? In my testing I haven't seen any significant improvements at long range. I'm just a hunter and Fclass guy.

Mark611

That's the way I do it! sort by ojive then OAL then I find the shortest bullet OAL trim it until I remove all the nasty stuff off the Me plat then I trim them all to that measurement and then tip them 8)

Mark611

JB, I guess it would depend on the bullets you are using, IMO a lot of the open tip HP bullets have a lot to be desired at the Me plat, most of the Serria Match Kings and other bullets I have seen the Me plats are very nasty under magnification, this may not bother some folks, but that's up to you? I see the difference on paper a lot YMMV ;D