News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

Eagle Eye 140 grain Berger Hybrid - 6.5 Creedmoor

Started by EagleSix, November 28, 2022, 06:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EagleSix

First time shooting this ammo and it was a bit of a challenge (environmental).  I have a Remington 700 action field gun.  The upsies and downsies were descent, I will take credit for the lefties and righties being a little out (that is complex and technical Redneck terminology by the way!).

It was a crazy windy day and this little 100 yards rifle range is a bit challenging and tested my patience for wind cycles.  Nonetheless I think Eagle Eye is pretty descent.  The other group was .535 MOA, which had a little better height and a little worse width.  I'm looking forward to seeing if I can squeeze it a little smaller and what the group to group consistency will reveal.

jvw2008

Good shooting! 35 mph gust plays hell with a tight group. 😂

EagleSix

@jvw2008

I have taught my students, if they are blessed with time, to shoot the cycle of winds.  That works pretty good with the prevailing wind and gusts are stable within the shooting distance.  Either shoot on cycle or off cycle.  It doesn't work very well for those crazy times when the wind near, far, and mid aren't stable.  Still for short distance (100-200 yards) and trying to work on groups rather than POA/POI it usually will work for off cycle (insipid) wind.  The trick is to have patience and learn the cycle.  Of course most members here know all this.

I've been shooting this range for about 8 months once a week and have never had such a day as yesterday.  The prevailing near wind and gust were variable and pretty much direct cross.  On my third shot for the day (Norma 143 Match) to season the barrel from cleaning, I have calm near winds and about to touch it off and just in front of the target stand is a tumble weed whizzing by from left to right!  Without flags I found a small bush near the target, cranked the scope power back a bit to keep it in view.  Without that I doubt I would have had any group much less than an inch. It's a crazy little range.  Regardless I'm happy with the results I got, at least for now!