New powder for Hornady 140 ELD match??

Started by merde1, November 08, 2022, 08:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merde1

While I primarily hand load, I occasionally shoot factory Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor 140 ELD match. I found the latest batch a little hotter than my older stuff. Hornady used to post recommended powder (H4350) at 4.5 gr. I recall taking apart a cartridge and it looked like H4350. However, when I took apart one of my latest batch of 140 ELD I found 41.6 gr. of a completely different powder I didn't recognize. It was tiny round balls.

Can anyone shed some light for me?

Thanks

jvw2008

Hodgdon StaBALL 6.5 would be a good guess. Although it's not likely to be pure. Most commercial propellants are a mixture of powders concocted to produce a specific burn rate that is maintained from batch to batch.

merde1

Thanks, that's helpful.

Does anyone else find the "new " 140 ELD a little hotter than before? I'm heading out with the chrony on Thursday to take actual measurement between old sand new.

Rob01

Quote from: merde1 on November 08, 2022, 08:30:23 AMWhile I primarily hand load, I occasionally shoot factory Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor 140 ELD match. I found the latest batch a little hotter than my older stuff. Hornady used to post recommended powder (H4350) at 4.5 gr. I recall taking apart a cartridge and it looked like H4350. However, when I took apart one of my latest batch of 140 ELD I found 41.6 gr. of a completely different powder I didn't recognize. It was tiny round balls.

Can anyone shed some light for me?

Thanks

Hornady hasn't used H4350 in those loads since early 2012. They changed to a Win powder for a little while and had issues so ended up changing to a non canister powder that we can't get so no use taking apart rounds trying to duplicate. Just load what you load.