News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Winchester StaBall 6.5

Started by flexible, May 11, 2022, 08:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flexible

hi everyone, flexible here. Been hearing some good things on Winchester StaBall 6.5. Any feedback?
thanks. Looks like current availability is high.

HufD63

Ive shot it in everything in 6 BR, 6.5x47L improved and 7-08 improved. Ive found it to be an accurate powder that's gives a little extra velocity over H4350 in the 6.5 & 7 and the same in the 6 over Varget.

I think if it catches on it will become one of the universal powders.
Dave

MJeff23

I tried STAball in a new 6GT recently.  Had some really tight groups but could not get the SD's below the 9-12 range. 
Jeff
First impressions are forever.....you don't get a second chance

autoxforfun

I been hearing good reports from folks that are using it.  I have some but haven't wanted to use up primers/bullets to develop a load.  As some of my other powders start to run low, I suspect that I'll be giving it a try.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

gman47564

Personally im not a fan of ball powders.. even though it meters well i always seem to find it laying around on my work area where im loading with it no mater how carefull i am with it.. I'll stick to the extruded powders..
Grant

jvw2008

Recent advances in powder dispersion and weight measurement have taken away some of the prior allure of ball powders. Still they retain the ability to pack densely into limited case volumes. If the burn rate and consistency of performance are appropriate then I would be happy to go with either a ball or stick powder. A friend of mine uses 6.5 Staball in competition and does well.

MJeff23

Quote from: gman47564 on May 11, 2022, 06:52:04 PMPersonally im not a fan of ball powders.. even though it meters well i always seem to find it laying around on my work area where im loading with it no mater how carefull i am with it.. I'll stick to the extruded powders..

yep, I loaded about 50 rounds and those little flakes were everywhere....
Jeff
First impressions are forever.....you don't get a second chance

LeadHammer

I had worked up a 270 win load with Staball. Shows promise so far, and can fit more powder in than with RL22.  I have yet to shoot it in 6.5CM and won't unless I run out of H4350. I think I have enough to burn out this current barrel.

The Marshall

StaBall has worked very well with 130gn Hornady ELD Match and 143gn Hornady ELDXs in my 6.5 Creedmoor.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
Every man has got to know his limits.

k9i449

I tried StaBall65 with Berger 130 VLDH, Barnes 127 LRX BT and Hornady 95 Vmax, in a Ruger #1 26" barrel.  All shot under 1/2"  95 less than that.   I was using Berger 135 CHB in a Remington 700, with great groups.  I had some REALLY bad luck  last fall with Nosler 120, never again.

Has anyone played with SUPERPERFORMANCE powder with lighter bullets, all Ive seen is for 140s.
Remington 700 6.5CRM Vortex Viper 6-20x44

Denver Steve

Quote from: k9i449 on May 28, 2022, 01:48:54 PMHas anyone played with SUPERPERFORMANCE powder with lighter bullets, all Ive seen is for 140s.

I have only tried superformance with the 120 gmx, and 129 sst. So not alot lighter bullets. I did not have good luck with either. Although the gmx wouldn't shoot good out of my browning with any powder I tried. The 129 shot ok, but way worse than with H4350 or RL17.