News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Hello, new member from middle Tenn.

Started by chef50, May 11, 2022, 07:47:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chef50

Hi all...Steve here, I'm in Winchester, Tn. Anyone in this neck of the woods, drop me a line.

jvw2008

Howdy Steve! Welcome to the forum. There are several folks in your neck of the woods so you should hear from them soon. I hale from Colorado but know quite a few folks from TN.
Tell us what your shooting interests are.

Jerry

LeadHammer

Welcome Steve, I wish I lived in a place called Winchester lol.

VA-XBolt

MJeff23

Jeff
First impressions are forever.....you don't get a second chance

gman47564

Welcome to the forum steve.. i hail from southern indiana myself.. as jvw said tell us about your shooting interest..
Grant

sportacus

Steve,
Welcome.  Split my time between central LA and middle TN.  My place is 2.5 hours west of Nashville on the KY line.  Familiar with Winchester.  You will enjoy your time here whether you are a comp guy or a hunter or both.  Gentlemen with knowledge that will make your head hurt and guidance that will trim down your bank account.
Wayne
If you have the shot, take it.

VA-XBolt

Quote from: sportacus on May 12, 2022, 06:02:43 PMguidance that will trim down your bank account.

LOL.... So very true!

chef50

Thanks for the warm welcome!! I'm a retired Ford worker, enjoying life with my wife Char in Winchester Tn, the home of Dinah Shore, sure some of you remember her. I'm putting together a rifle for mid-long-range target shooting. A Ruger American with Magpul Hunter stock will be mounting a Vortex Viper PST Gen II. I'm thinking 400 yards is long enough. Not a hunter, that was back when my knees were young. With the help of some friends, I'll be putting together some rounds, Starline brass, Sierra MatchKing 150 gr. bullets, and a dose of H 4350 or IMR 4350. Any recommendations for a shorter range bullet in the 130's gr.?

LeadHammer

I would consider 130's for close range target, less recoil.  Most 6.5 CM's like 140's. 150's would be too much in my opinion, plus it would increase felt recoil.
I like Berger's, Hornady ELDx shoot good for me as well.
Up here in Canada I have only seen 140 ELDM's around and the odd 140 RDF box for the last few months.

VA-XBolt

I've been very happy with Berger bullets, although I'm using the heavier 153.5gr for target and 156gr for hunting. They do have a 130gr target which I'd likely try if I was looking for that weight range.

HufD63

ELD M 130s, Berger HVLD 130s or Berger Classic Hunter 135s

I think the 130s are probably the optimum weight in a Creedmoor. Sure there is no arguing the success that's been had with the 140s but if you've got a slow lot of powder and or a slow barrel it's not going to make that low 2800 node and could have trouble getting to the mid 2700 node.
Inside 400 yards I doubt most could shoot the difference between 130s and 140s

Personally I wouldn't consider the 150 bullets for a Creedmoor but more a 6.5-284 or 6.5 PRC projectile.
Dave

sportacus

Steve,
Don't know if I mentioned on your original post.  Since you plan to shoot long, recommend you install a MCARBO replacement rigger spring.  Has made every Ruger American and Browning X Bolt I have ever put one in induce tears of joy.
Wayne

sportacus

bikemutt

Quote from: sportacus on May 14, 2022, 01:43:04 PMSteve,
Don't know if I mentioned on your original post.  Since you plan to shoot long, recommend you install a MCARBO replacement rigger spring.  Has made every Ruger American and Browning X Bolt I have ever put one in induce tears of joy.
Wayne

100% on the M-CARBO springs. They are cheap enough, order extra. On the X-Bolt, I nibble one down until the trigger won't reliably reset, discard it and cut the next one just a tad taller. You may get to where you want to be without nibbling of course.
Chris