2Fity Hillbilly (25 Creedmoor)

Started by Txhillbilly, April 02, 2022, 11:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txhillbilly

After a 4 month wait, My new LH ARC Archimedes action has finally been shipped. It is supposed to arrive on Tuesday.
My X-Caliber barrel will probably arrive in another 6-8 weeks, but I have a spare 6.5 barrel to screw on the action until the 25 barrel gets here.
I decided to use a Woox Exactus chassis on this build, and I like what I received. It also came with Badger bottom metal.

The build will include a Trigger Tech Special trigger, ARC M10 rings, and an Athlon Cronus scope.
I'll just neck down some 6.5 brass for the 25 since I have plenty of virgin 6.5 brass out in the shop, and  500 Berger 135gr bullets just arrived a couple days ago.

More pics will follow when I put it together.

Windsage

I like how Woox has been joining modern chassis parts with beautiful woodwork.

gman47564

I have almost pulled the trigger on a woox chassis a couple times.. i like the looks..
Grant

autoxforfun

That is a very nice looking stock !!  Good choice....tempting.   Let us know how it all works when it is together.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Txhillbilly

The action showed up yesterday, so I screwed on one of my spare 6.5 CM barrels and got it ready to shoot while I'm waiting of the 25 CM barrel to show up.

LH ARC Archimedes action
Trigger Tech Special trigger
Woox Exactus chassis
Athlon Cronus scope
ARC M10 rings

autoxforfun

The rifle looks great....good choices from what I can see.  I was not familiar with the Archimedes action but I noticed the barrel nut in the picture so I had to look it up.  It takes a standard small shank Savage pre-fit which is nice and provides a lot of flexibility.  As you spend some time with the action, would be interested in your thoughts on it.
Bob

jvw2008

Quote from: autoxforfun on April 08, 2022, 10:26:31 AMThe rifle looks great....good choices from what I can see.  I was not familiar with the Archimedes action but I noticed the barrel nut in the picture so I had to look it up.  It takes a standard small shank Savage pre-fit which is nice and provides a lot of flexibility.  As you spend some time with the action, would be interested in your thoughts on it.

I've been very impressed with the tactical actions from ARC. My Mausingfield is just a joy to run. It handles a 300 Norma Mag like it's a toy cartridge.

Txhillbilly

Quote from: autoxforfun on April 08, 2022, 10:26:31 AMThe rifle looks great....good choices from what I can see.  I was not familiar with the Archimedes action but I noticed the barrel nut in the picture so I had to look it up.  It takes a standard small shank Savage pre-fit which is nice and provides a lot of flexibility.  As you spend some time with the action, would be interested in your thoughts on it.

Thanks.
ARC, Zermatt/Bighorn. and Shilen all offer custom actions that are threaded for small shank Savage style barrels.
I have a Shilen DGR, ARC Nucleus 1.0 and 2.0 action's. They all are very good action's to build off of. You can use either a barrel nut style pre-fit, or any of the shouldered style pre-fit barrels that are being made for the ARC & Zermatt/Bighorn actions.

autoxforfun

Txhillbilly, I have a couple Bighorn actions (TL3) and love them and like that I can choose to either use a barrel nut or go shouldered.  You also have that option now with a number of Rem 700 clones to either go Remage or shoulder.  I was not aware of the ARC actions.  What's great is when our members post their builds like you did.  Get to see some really great builds and learn about some new options.  I am not looking to build anything new but if I do, you have given me a couple of great ideas from what you built.  Thanks for posting you build !!!
Bob

jvw2008

I've watched all of Ted Karagias's (ARC owner) videos on YouTube. Really interesting personality to me. I think he is a shy engineering genius. It seems like everything he produces is absolutely top notch.

https://youtu.be/0UStJXN4as4

Windsage

I almost bought the Archimedes action on my last purchase, but finally decided on a Bighorn Origin.  I did go to ARC for their Xylo chassis though.  It should be here next week.

Txhillbilly

Quote from: Windsage on April 09, 2022, 12:27:13 PMI almost bought the Archimedes action on my last purchase, but finally decided on a Bighorn Origin.  I did go to ARC for their Xylo chassis though.  It should be here next week.

Nothing wrong with a Bighorn action. I was actually going to buy a LH origin for this build, but it was going to be around a 6 month wait on the action, so I just went with the Archimedes.

We live in some good times today. There are so many choices when it comes to custom action's and barrel's, it can be hard to decide on what to buy.

Txhillbilly

My X-caliber 25 CM barrel is supposed to arrive today, we'll see if Fed-Ex shows up. If it does, I'll be swapping barrel's on the Archimedes action this weekend. Then I can neck down some new brass, and load up some of the 135 gr Berger's and see what it can do with them.

jvw2008

Watching this thread with interest!

Txhillbilly

I swapped out the barrel's on the Archimedes action today. As usual, X-Caliber did a great job on the barrel, and I really like the style / looks of their barrel nut. Who ever does their Cerakoting also did a great job. I also fixed the bolt stop / release knob on the action. It was almost impossible to turn by hand, it's the same style as my Nucleus Gen 1 action, but it just doesn't turn easily.
I took it apart, and cut a couple coils off the detent spring. Now, it turns pretty easy by hand.
Now I just need to resize some brass, and start working on some load development.