News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

W/o As from a pack rat.

Started by mnbogboy, February 25, 2022, 08:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnbogboy

I haven't pack ratted enough junk yet so i had to order a savage barrel nut.
I've alreadytorethenutsoutofthreeexistigrifles! Grand kids have an additional 5 savage rifles I've put togetherforthem. If theyvwerecloseicouldscavenge offtheirdeerrifles
They want between 20 and 30 bucks for them.
I've already used 6 of my extras on the switchbarrels formulates project. With several barrels to work on yet I'm slowly getting enough!
Today's projectwasvto thread the last 30 tc barrel fora brake, chop it to length 16 inches and then crown it! I just got done giving it the Grant cleaning regiment and still am going to give it a look With the Teslong.
Anybody have a surplus of nuts? Lol I was only issued 2 from central command.but almost lost them to an incidentwiththe ex-wife!!
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

mnbogboy

After tearing down three working savages for their barrel nuts im down to only one more fully assembled one and i dont want to tear it apart fot just the barrel nut! The grandkids have 5 more rifles as a part of the original savage fleet.
I would hate to tear one of theirs down. Of the complete rifles I bought at gun shows and various used barrels I have purchased I should have aboutb20 or thirty of them. I do have a couple of rnrw remage nuts with a plan for them.
The one I ordered should be here in a couple of days.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

autoxforfun

Randy, how many more you looking for?  I may have 1-2 factory nuts that I could send you way if it helps...all large shank.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Windsage

I have one extra large shank one that I don't need.  I took it off a Stealth BA when I took the factory barrel off.

mnbogboy

Thanks guys forvthe offers but small shanks seem to be sold out at midway and gun shack. I will order two more from uncle Larry when they get them in. They are listed at $15 for stainless.
Large shank are not common because there are so many usedsmall shank barrels out there and mot guys include the kitchen they sell them. I found one place selling them for $14 and change while the $20 to $30 figures in other places stunned me.im not sure where the one i ordered is coming from, I think phoenix? Through flea bay.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

mnbogboy

Well new nutcame today drilled and tapped it forthe setscrew then used It on onevof the 30tc barrels. The 30tc uses thecreedmoor go gauge. I fitted that barrel on the same action as the rest. Now im researching nogo gauges. Man aretheybspendy! Usually i use 1to4 layers ofsctch tapev onbthe go gauge and the bolt wont closeif youhad set it snug on the go gauge to begin with.
Has anybody "glued" shims to the go gauge other than tape? If so what glue might  work best?
Here is a list of barrels so far;
1221 rem fireball
2 243win
3.257 Roberts Ackley 40° shoulder
4. 6.5 creedmoor
5.6.5/257 Roberts ackley40°
6.. 284/7mm short rem mag. (Ole shorty)
7.. . 30tc
8.. 308 win improved 30° shoulder.

I just solved one problem, I just remeberedi  havea243/260/308 no go gauge, it came with a erbshaw barrel kit.
If midwaygettheir savagenuts back in stock I mayjustmakeone more barrel; a 257bob ackley!, I have 3 of them to chop.aquarterbore is the only caliber missing! wish i had a33or35cal in thebunch orbigger.
My final question is will i be able to post a video onhere when im done?I think I couldhave mywife video me changing all the barrels! It whould onlytakeabout5or10minutes!, theygoonandoffrealslick byusingalargesrew driverorsmall ar in the muzzle bakes. I alsomadearearetryactionwrechfro a spare bolt it is notasbeefy as my wheeleractionwrenchasfarashowmuchtorqueyoucanputontit. Youhaveto holditetweenyourlegsasyoutighten proposed abarrel.i extendedthesaagebolthadlebycutting and threading it.
Edit: also I have more muzzle brakes and barrel nuts on order.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

DHuffman

Quote from: mnbogboy on March 01, 2022, 08:57:07 PMWell new nutcame today drilled and tapped it forthe setscrew then used It on onevof the 30tc barrels. The 30tc uses thecreedmoor go gauge. I fitted that barrel on the same action as the rest. Now im researching nogo gauges. Man aretheybspendy! Usually i use 1to4 layers ofsctch tapev onbthe go gauge and the bolt wont closeif youhad set it snug on the go gauge to begin with.
Has anybody "glued" shims to the go gauge other than tape? If so what glue might  work best?
Here is a list of barrels so far;
1221 rem fireball
2 243win
3.257 Roberts Ackley 40° shoulder
4. 6.5 creedmoor
5.6.5/257 Roberts ackley40°
6.. 284/7mm short rem mag. (Ole shorty)
7.. . 30tc
8.. 308 win improved 30° shoulder.

I just solved one problem, I just remeberedi  havea243/260/308 no go gauge, it came with a erbshaw barrel kit.
If midwaygettheir savagenuts back in stock I mayjustmakeone more barrel; a 257bob ackley!, I have 3 of them to chop.aquarterbore is the only caliber missing! wish i had a33or35cal in thebunch orbigger.
My final question is will i be able to post a video onhere when im done?I think I couldhave mywife video me changing all the barrels! It whould onlytakeabout5or10minutes!, theygoonandoffrealslick byusingalargesrew driverorsmall ar in the muzzle bakes. I alsomadearearetryactionwrechfro a spare bolt it is notasbeefy as my wheeleractionwrenchasfarashowmuchtorqueyoucanputontit. Youhaveto holditetweenyourlegsasyoutighten proposed abarrel.i extendedthesaagebolthadlebycutting and threading it.
Edit: also I have more muzzle brakes and barrel nuts on order.

How's this going Randy?

There are ways to easily link a video off Vimeo

https://vimeo.com/features/online-video-hosting
Dave

mnbogboy

Quote from: autoxforfun on February 28, 2022, 01:52:59 PMRandy, how many more you looking for?  I may have 1-2 factory nuts that I could send you way if it helps...all large shank.
Thanks bob, I've got all small shank stuff, I ended up buying 3 or 4 off flea bay! I'm still waiting on midway usa backorder ( out of stock).
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

mnbogboy

Quote from: mnbogboy on July 15, 2022, 11:36:19 PMThanks bob, I've got all small shank stuff, I ended up buying 3 or 4 off flea bay! I'm still waiting on midway usa backorder ( out of stock).
i finally dismantled a voiple ofbsafe queens for thr nuts i needed@
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith