Recommendation for scope

Started by Selandbe, February 15, 2022, 04:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Selandbe

I just purchased a Ruger Precision 6.5 Creedmoor... My first 6.5 Creedmoor and my first semi long range rifle.  I am looking for a medium to long range scope ... Any recommendations for a lower cost option?  I will only be target shooting with this rifle to start but would love to get back into competition at some point.  I haven't found much that wasn't several hundred dollars... if not, thousands of dollars ... thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Bradley

jvw2008

There is an adage that says spend as much on your scope as you do on your rifle. Sometimes our budget just doesn't allow us to follow that sage advice.
My suggestion would be to look at the Vortex offerings and start in the price range you can afford. Vortex carries a life long warranty and their reputation serves to allow easy resale in the future. When you can afford better glass, sell the old one and buy a better new one.

gman47564

Grant

Windsage

Vortex re-released the viper pst gen 2 scope a while back with a newer EBR-7C reticle.  The remaining of the ones with the EBR-2C reticle have been selling on Midway for $669 which is about 30% off.  At that price, they are a really good scope.  To get better, you'd have to get back over $1k.

gman47564

Thats about all i run on my rifles is the gen 2 pst.. the ebr7c retical is awesome in my opinion.. but i have them with the 2c and 2d i think it is and a couple others as well.. just a all around good scope i think no matter what retical you get..
Grant

chazwood

Take a look at the vortex venom very good for the money. I have 2 of them one on my 22lr and one on my 223. I have shot a PRS match with one while I was waiting for a mark 5 to come in. It was better than you might expect

Downeast

There are some good deals out there on used optics on some of the competition/accuracy forums. I've picked up both NF and Vortex scopes for as much as 1/3 to 1/2 off retail. I have found that many upgrade their optics over time and sell what they have. You just need to be patient and once you decide what you want then start looking. I dabble a bit in F Class style shooting and regularly shoot my 6.5 Creed in mid-range using a NF Benchrest scope that I picked up for under $900. I really like it.
IMPORTANT: These comments may contain information that is erroneous, false, or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor, or irrational religious beliefs. Any opinions expressed are my own and generally unpopular with others.