News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Gordon of the GRT Reloading Tool has Passed Away

Started by VA-XBolt, January 31, 2022, 03:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA-XBolt

For those of you not on the the Discord GRT channel, Gordon has passed away on January 26th. The long term status of GRT has not been determined as of yet, but there are a number of people working to keep that project afloat, and I'm sure at some point we'll hear from Gordon's heirs.

In that Discord GRT channel, there is also a discussion on a workaround for the June 1st, 2022 end date for the current version of GRT.

It's very sad to have lost such a valuable contributor to the shooting sports.

jvw2008

Yes that is sad news. Was he an older guy or was it something unexpected?

VA-XBolt

I don't actually know any details, only what I just saw on Discord. I had some login issues with that which only got resolved today, so I just found out.

VA-XBolt

A few updates on GRT Versions and the workaround for the embedded end date. Gordon has set up embedded end dates for his product, so that people couldn't get too far behind current released versions. For the latest versions (v2030 for Patreon supporters and v1980 for non-Patreon supporters) that end date is June 1, 2022.

Other than the built in end date, for most users, GRT will probably still meet your needs with existing powder, bullets and cases which are supplied in various GRT program libraries. It is possible to create custom bullets and cases (capacity) in your own local libraries, but new powder data will not be updated for some time, until the community can figure out how to maintain ongoing support for GRT.

There have been a number of discussions on the Discord channel about workarounds, and it looks like now, there  is a GRT Launcher which simplifies the process and can be downloaded from GitHub at the link below.

https://github.com/stro/grt-update/releases/tag/Launcher-1.000

Simply extract the two files into your GRT working folder, and pin the .exe to Start and/or Taskbar.  Then you just single click on the icon and your GRT version will start even after the embedded end date.

Windsage

Thanks for the heads up.  He will be greatly missed.

VA-XBolt

Everyone, a somewhat newer version of GRT has been released which will run to the year 2048 (eliminating the need for the launcher previously posted here) and is available on the website. You'll need to log in to download it.

From the Discord GRT channel: "The download page now contains a somewhat enhanced Windows version V2030 that will run until the year 2048.  This is the same as the previous Patreon version.  Additionally the Linux version has also been updated, but at this time we do not have a end date work around past June 1, 2022."