News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Weird brass

Started by LeadHammer, March 19, 2022, 04:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeadHammer

So I went to the range today, more about that later on a different post.

I am shooting new Hornady brass, Lee collet only. I came across one loaded round that would not chamber. It would drop free from the rifle when tipped muzzle up. Tried several times. I just took the round apart, headspace is factory short, ( normal ) OAL is not too long, I set my body dies up quick with the Redding comp shell holder and it was a no touch all the way down to  the last one, and I could hardly feel anything. Rolling the brass it seems true.
Brought it back to the rifle and it will sometimes chamber. Mostly not.
I have 30 primed brass sitting here and it chambered all of them just fine.
Was thinking of loading it up again and rotating it at the range until it hopefully works. Or just crushing it. Has anyone had this problem before? 

gman47564

I would pitch it..
Grant

jvw2008

Have you thoroughly examined your chamber. If you can't do that, you might scrub the heck out of it and try the case again.

LeadHammer

Quote from: jvw2008 on March 19, 2022, 06:26:38 PMHave you thoroughly examined your chamber. If you can't do that, you might scrub the heck out of it and try the case again.

I have not really looked super carefully into the chamber, but the rifle was cleaner than it has ever been, and only has 30 rounds down the tube. At home I ran 30 sized brass through the action, no problems, but the 1 won't go in 90% of the time. Maybe the base of the case is too thick or not square. I don't mind scraping it but was just curious if I was missing something.

gman47564

Full length size it and see if it fits everytime.. if it doesn't then toss it..
Grant

HufD63

If it's the same one piece I'd pitch it also.
Dave

LeadHammer

Thanks, I will just ditch it as the body die never did anything.

jvw2008

I agree about not using it, but it would be nice to figure out what the problem is. 

autoxforfun

Jerry, I agree.  I had a couple of thoughts.

1) Take a black marker and color the cartridge.  Then insert it into the chamber and see if there are any interference marks to provide a clue as to why it won't chamber.

2) I wonder if the base has a rough spot on it that is not allowing it to slip past the ejector in the bolt.  I had a Big Horn bolt that had a small deformity in the ejector that would occasionally get hung up on the base of the cartridge and not allow me to close the bolt.  Took awhile to find.  Some emery cloth took care of it once I understood the cause.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

LeadHammer

Ok I went and did some more measuring. The case rim diameter was larger than all the rest I had shot. 0.471
Most were 0.466-67
I measured the diameter of the case just forward of the rim, and here it was a larger diameter as well. 0.399
Most were 0.390-395.
I took the bad case and sanded the rim diameter down to 0.466.5/67. Now it cycles easily 90% of the time.

HufD63

Get rid of it before you stick it in the chamber.
Dave

LeadHammer

It's not going to be loaded again, but I think it just would not interface with the bolt head properly. Fit the chamber fine.
Thanks for all the help y'all.
I was not even going to post it but sometimes you can learn lots from little things. 

HufD63

It's good to post things like that, it helps others be aware it can happen and what to look for.
Dave