News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

Newbie Win Stabal 6.5 question

Started by Bubbahotep, December 31, 2021, 04:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubbahotep

Hello, I'm new to the forum and somewhat new to hand loading. I was finally able to get some Win Sta bal 6.5 ( available at Powder Valley) and was wondering if anyone has any experiance using it. I have found data for the charge but have not loaded any yet. I am using new Lapua small and large primer (gas gun & bolt gun) with CCI primers. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

DHuffman

I've shot some with outstanding accuracy in a 7mm 08 imp shooting 180 Bergers. I've also done some very preliminary testing in a 28" 6 br Norma. It's showed good velocity here but I haven't taken it far enough to judge the accuracy.

It's a very fine ball powder that can be a mess depending on how you handle it. One of it's biggest advantages after velocity and accuracy is where other powders will over fill and compress the ball nature of it allows it to settle better and not compress when seating.

Work up a load from manufacturers data and you should be happy with it.
Dave

Bubbahotep

Thanks Dave. I am starting with the Hornady recomendations

DCC83501

Just starting myself and will be checking on this thread.

Denver Steve

I have some 6.5 Staball on hand. Haven't used it in anything yet. Wanting to trying it in a few cartridges, it looks like it may be a good performer in a few if I can find good nodes with it.

Looking forward to your results.

boltman13

I have 100 Starline cases in 6.5 Creedmoor with CCI BR2 primers, Sierra 130 gr. Tipped MK's and 44.4 grs. of StaBall 6.5.  I haven't been able to try them yet, its just too cold and or wet.  I hop to get some data by early February.