News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Aero precision m5e1

Started by gman47564, November 14, 2021, 08:42:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHuffman

You're gonna not have fun chasing your brass around LOL I've got an AR  10 & 15 lower in the closet that I haven't taken any further for that reason.
Dave

gman47564

Quote from: HufD63 on November 30, 2021, 07:01:15 PMYou're gonna not have fun chasing your brass around LOL I've got an AR  10 & 15 lower in the closet that I haven't taken any further for that reason.

Im not too worried about that dave.. will put a brass catcher on it or build a box to set beside it to catch the brass..
Grant

Homebrewer

Grant is correct.  Brass catcher... No chasing spent brass required.
Hog count:  465.... Sus Hog: 67... Canis 86... Lynx rufus 1 ...    NRA Endowment Life Member
30 Herrett AR -  The best all out terminal performance on hogs and deer out to 300yds the 30 Herrett is it.   The round hits like Thor's hammer, DRT. A perfect match for Texas hog hunters.

jvw2008

Quote from: HufD63 on November 30, 2021, 07:01:15 PMYou're gonna not have fun chasing your brass around LOL I've got an AR  10 & 15 lower in the closet that I haven't taken any further for that reason.

Caldwell makes a light one that is inexpensive and fairly effective. More fun to shoot without it though. I do my AR brass with a SS tumble for three reasons. I'm not overly concerned about precision, when I'm running all that fodder through the auto mechanism I want all that brass really clean to mimimize jams, super shiny brass is easier to see on the ground.

gman47564

Little update on this.. i shot about 40 rounds through it this morning.. 140 gr sierra bthp on top of imr4451.. mainly just breaking it in.. having some feeding problems that im pretty sure is magazine related.. should have some better ones tomorrow.. loaded a random load of 41.5 gr. For this breakin and the gun is shooting around 1 moa.. hopefully it will do better with a load built for it.. loaded a 10 shot velocity ladder for it tonight with 140 hornady bthp and imr 4451. Will see what they do in the morning.. sure hope i can get this combo down to 3/4 moa.. if i can I'll be happy.. the reason for the 4451 is because i have 6# of it i need to use up..
Grant

lg65cmsd

thoroughly enjoyed following this thread on your build Gman.  I have a Rock River Arms in 6.5CM and your rifle looks a lot like mine.  Magpul buttstock, stainless bbl , I've Razor Gen 1 and love its reticle on mine, along with Atlas bipod.   Mine shoots 1 MOA as advertize right out of the box.   It shoots Hornady's 140gn HPBTs , Sierra's 142 SMK (& tighter than their 140) all well under 1 MOA and just loaded to 'mag length' (2.80" & 2.81")  41 grains of H4350 yields 2696 fps out of the 24" bbl.  I use RL's16 /17, Superformance and 'jumps' run between 40-50 thousandths.   

You are going to have fun with this.  Easy to load for and shoots good.  Hard on brass though. I use Hornady.  I envy you your Century Lathe, if I turned brass that is what I would look to.  Sounds like you have it gassed right.  Its cycling.   Anyway, I am sure I did not write anything here you did not already know. 

My shooting buddy wants to buy my rifle.  I'm not anxious to sell it and he has not shot me a price.   But, I've proposed he just builds one and using most of the components you have used.   Enjoying reading this thread, lg

Quick Edit:  One thing, the brass catcher is, IMO, a good idea.   As you probably know they make two kinds.  One that mounts to the pic rail and one that mounts using Velcro.  My pic rail ends at the receiver.  So, I had to go with the Velcro choice.   It works but after a few rounds the recoil displaces its position.  If you can , go with the pic rail mount choice.  2centsworth, lg

gman47564

Thanks for the info on the brass catcher that hooks to the rail.. will look into that.. for now im shooting it out of my building so brass flying isnt a big deal.. got a couple pmags yesterday and with them the gun runs perfect.. now to get a decent load for it.. got about a 100 rounds down the barrel and moa is about as good as I've got so far..
Grant

gman47564

If i can maintain this i will be super happy.. 100 yards.. 3 shots.. 41 gr of h4350. (Gave up on 4451. Lol) 140 hornady bthp.. wind 8mph from 8 oclock.. brass looks good here and cycling as it should..
Grant

lg65cmsd

That's great Grant, 40.4 of RL-17, 41.3 of RL-16 and 44 of Superformance ( all loaded to 'mag length' -2.80"/2.81") and that bullet will give you the same results.   So you have powder options.  :)      And all pushing around 2700-ish. 

sportacus

Grant,
That will work.  Great group and you are just getting started. Brass catching not an issue with my DD5V5.  I baby the he** out of this one. You don't just slap a new barrel on Daniel Defense stuff like you can with most AR;s and bolt guns. Barrel to receiver attachment proprietary. You can dance, but has to be their tune.  I'm good with that. A deer/hog rifle that I want to last a long time.  Barrel might get heated up to room temp if I engaging zombies or "goblins."  8)
Wayne
If you have the shot, take it.

gman47564

Wayne that is something I noticed about this one .. can send ten or 15 rounds down it pretty quick and the barrel is just luke warm. I guess all them hot gasses going back into the gas system.. i also noticed the brass comes out of the thing hot as hell.. burn you hot.. lol
Grant

sportacus

Grant,
I am a dinosaur. As I was being burnished at the Benning School for Wayward Boys in the mid 70's, all of us that shot the M-16 wrong handed had to button the top button on our "blouse" to keep a hot one from burning you throat/neck/chest.  Later versions fixed the problem.  Lots of time in the 82d and always wondered why they replaced all our battle rifles every 4-5 years.  Guess it was cheaper to replace than rebarrel.  Some goob in Africa or Central America might be running around with a M-4 that I burned the rifling out of in the late 80's early 90's.
Wayne
If you have the shot, take it.

autoxforfun

Quote from: gman47564 on December 04, 2021, 03:05:39 PMWayne that is something I noticed about this one .. can send ten or 15 rounds down it pretty quick and the barrel is just luke warm. I guess all them hot gasses going back into the gas system.. i also noticed the brass comes out of the thing hot as hell.. burn you hot.. lol
Nice shooting Grant.....looks very nice for a new rifle.

Regarding the hot brass, I've noticed that with my AR versus the Bolt gun.  The AR brass comes out much hotter than the bolt.  Maybe the bolt cycles slower and more heat is dissipated by the chamber.   I use one of the brass catchers....they are made of nylon....so hot brass will have a tendency to melt nylon.  The Grendel doesn't get that hot but I've seen some of the catchers with holes melted in them.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

gman47564

I shot this a few times this afternoon at 300 and 430 yards.. it shot pretty good i thought.. between 1/2 and 3/4 moa.. being as i was outside on my platform shooting i used my caldwell brass catcher and after shooting 5 or 6 i looked in the bag and only seen one case.. the others had stuck to the top part of the bag where they had melted the nylon bag when they came out of the gun.. they were hanging in there by the necks .. lol.. didnt burn any holes in it but they was hot enough to melt that nylon enough to get them to stick.. all in all im very happy with how the rifle is doing.. recoil is minimal.. cycling well.. shooting good.. brass isnt all beat up.. exactly what i was after.. ????
Grant

Homebrewer

Grant -
   Here is your answer to melting nylon catcher bags...
Check out the video.  'Using the Operator Brass Catcher'
  https://www.tacticalbrassrecovery.com/ar15-ar10-brass-catcher-operator-std/
-
I run one on my 65 CM gas gun, and another for my wildcats on ar-15 platform.
No time spent chasing brass, or looking for brass at night time hunting hogs...
-
235 bucks isn't cheap - but you really get what you pay for here.
And waaayyy better than the cheap chinese crap most are selling.

Dennis
Hog count:  465.... Sus Hog: 67... Canis 86... Lynx rufus 1 ...    NRA Endowment Life Member
30 Herrett AR -  The best all out terminal performance on hogs and deer out to 300yds the 30 Herrett is it.   The round hits like Thor's hammer, DRT. A perfect match for Texas hog hunters.