News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

Black Walnut BR Stock

Started by autoxforfun, November 07, 2021, 06:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lg65cmsd

Hi Autoxforfun,  I will be speaking with my nephew soon after the first of the new year.  He is rebarreling and refinishing a Model 70 for me and I want to see how he is coming with it.   He finished a custom for me last September, so hate to start bugging him about the Mod 70 so soon after that project, if you know what I mean.    I have it noted to ask him about your 'thing'.     Happy new year!  lg

lg65cmsd

Hi Autoxforun,  I got up with my nephew on the phone this morning.   Here is what he said-  for using the saw dust or sandings trick, just use a regular wood glue, like Elmers.   Then he mentioned a product called Shillack (sp?) sticks.  These are available in colors and Brownells carries them.   

Apparantly these SS's are a hard waxy like thing.  And used to fill in voids etc.  Then a sanding of them and finish with whatever a guy is using for finish, if anything.   HE said he had seen this done and it turns out real nice.    So, hope this helps.   The regular wood glue and saw dust works too.   I remember it from shop class in 8th grade.    And he said experiment either on a piece of scrap wood

Hope this helps, lg  :)

autoxforfun

Quote from: lg65cmsd on January 08, 2022, 10:19:07 AMHi Autoxforun,  I got up with my nephew on the phone this morning.  Here is what he said-  for using the saw dust or sandings trick, just use a regular wood glue, like Elmers.  Then he mentioned a product called Shillack (sp?) sticks.  These are available in colors and Brownells carries them.   

Apparantly these SS's are a hard waxy like thing.  And used to fill in voids etc.  Then a sanding of them and finish with whatever a guy is using for finish, if anything.  HE said he had seen this done and it turns out real nice.    So, hope this helps.  The regular wood glue and saw dust works too.  I remember it from shop class in 8th grade.    And he said experiment either on a piece of scrap wood

Hope this helps, lg  :)

lg, I truly appreciate you making the effort to provide me with some guidance on this project.  Thank you !!

I was thinking about the Wood Glue option as well.  Grant had a suggestion too.  So I have a few ideas to try out.  

All the best for the new year!!
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

lg65cmsd

Autofixforfun, we did this in 8th grade shop class almost 60 years ago, I just could not remember the bonding agent used.   It has not changed.    It was nice for me to try to help some one out here, after all the help I have gotten  from members over the past few years I have been here! lg

LeadHammer

I have done the sawdust, wood stain and Weld Bond wood glue thing as well. Did it on my old 30-30. Made up a few tests on and from a piece of 2x4 as to see the results before trying it on the rifle. I did not get the color perfect, but it was close. If you get a piece of scrap wood that is also the same as the stock, then it will be even better. ( the sawdust will match easier )

autoxforfun

I've been doing a lot of cleaning in the shop and getting rid of stuff I haven't looked in 10 years or more.  I found a nice scrap piece of Walnut.....perfect for this experiment.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough