News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

Hack & chop job

Started by gman47564, January 21, 2022, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman47564

Setting out in my building this morning looking around trying to decide what i wanted to do and there leaned up by the door is my browning abolt 3 in 6.5 creedmoor.. been leaning there for a good while.. the gun hasnt shot well for a good while.. a few months ago i tinkered around with it cleaning some of the carbon and crap out of it and it shot a little better but not good by no means.. moa at best.. im needing a beat around gun i can keep in the mini but this one is to long to wield inside the mini really.. so i decided to shorten the barrel.. my little 204 howa is 39 inches long over all and it works ok so i measure the abolt and its 43 inches long.. so i measure 5 inches from the muzzel end and mark it.. take the barreled action out of the stock and take it up town to the welding shop and use their band saw to cut the 5 inches off.. bring it home and clean the end up with a file and some emery cloth then take a coned stone in my dremel and run it in the bore and let it spin for a minute.. pull it off and it all looks good.. put some tetra bluing on it and looked good.. but it back in the stock and tightened it down..

Then soaked the bore with kroil for about 30 minutes and took a 6.5 caliber bronze brush and loaded it down with jb bore paste and went to town on the bore.. scrubbed it till their was nothing but bare metal in the bore.. thought heck i cant hurt it.. put the scope back on it and went to shooting it.. took 8 shots for it to settle dow but after that i shot a couple 3 shot groups that was right at a half inch..  ;D took a couple more shots to zero the scope good and then for the real test.. would it fit in my make shift gun holder in the mini and it did.. woo hoo.. i call it a success..
Grant

LeadHammer

I need to get some JB paste one of these days.

autoxforfun

Quote from: LeadHammer on January 21, 2022, 09:55:27 PMI need to get some JB paste one of these days.

JB is hard to find these days.....
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Cold Trigger Finger

Short barreled rifles, are the Best !
 I sure haven't noticed any reduction in killing ability with mine ! And it's The rifle I Want to have in my hands
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

gman47564

Grant

mnbogboy

Quote from: gman47564 on January 21, 2022, 09:19:39 PMSetting out in my building this morning looking around trying to decide what i wanted to do and there leaned up by the door is my browning abolt 3 in 6.5 creedmoor.. been leaning there for a good while.. the gun hasnt shot well for a good while.. a few months ago i tinkered around with it cleaning some of the carbon and crap out of it and it shot a little better but not good by no means.. moa at best.. im needing a beat around gun i can keep in the mini but this one is to long to wield inside the mini really.. so i decided to shorten the barrel.. my little 204 howa is 39 inches long over all and it works ok so i measure the abolt and its 43 inches long.. so i measure 5 inches from the muzzel end and mark it.. take the barreled action out of the stock and take it up town to the welding shop and use their band saw to cut the 5 inches off.. bring it home and clean the end up with a file and some emery cloth then take a coned stone in my dremel and run it in the bore and let it spin for a minute.. pull it off and it all looks good.. put some tetra bluing on it and looked good.. but it back in the stock and tightened it down..

Then soaked the bore with kroil for about 30 minutes and took a 6.5 caliber bronze brush and loaded it down with jb bore paste and went to town on the bore.. scrubbed it till their was nothing but bare metal in the bore.. thought heck i cant hurt it.. put the scope back on it and went to shooting it.. took 8 shots for it to settle dow but after that i shot a couple 3 shot groups that was right at a half inch..  ;D took a couple more shots to zero the scope good and then for the real test.. would it fit in my make shift gun holder in the mini and it did.. woo hoo.. i call it a success..
Grant recently I purchased a sawsall. It makes quick work out of barrel sawing. No need for my hacksaw anymore. Can't wait to try it on a breech end set back. Like you I file the end square. I bought a cutter from brownells several years back for cutting the crown. It is precision ground and makes a nice 11° crown in minutes! It can go up to 3/4 inch diameter. I use it in a battery powered drill, which it only takes a couple of minutes.
My latest project will have me using both tools several times. I think I have 10 barrels to do for this Finnish version of a savage striker.o
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

gman47564

Cutting it good and square was one reason i took it to the welding shop and used their big band saw.. when its clamped in the jaws on the saw it cuts it square.. all i had to do was clean the cut up.. worked out good..

With shortening it up and taking the barrel back down to bare metal the rifle is shooting really well.. messed around with the seating depth with the 143 eldx"s i have loaded for it and got it down to 3 shots pretty much touching each other.. happy as heck with that.. not sure the gun isnt shooting better than it ever has.. i couldnt tell by looking but i suspect the old crown on it was messed up.. any way got me a mini truck gun that should reach out there and touch something if need be..
Grant

sportacus

Grant,
Prett handy.  Professional looking job.  Glad it shoots tight.
Wayne
If you have the shot, take it.

Homebrewer

Grant -
        How much barrel length did you end up with?

Good accuracy and looks like it fits well in your mini truck !

Dennis
Hog count:  465.... Sus Hog: 67... Canis 86... Lynx rufus 1 ...    NRA Endowment Life Member
30 Herrett AR -  The best all out terminal performance on hogs and deer out to 300yds the 30 Herrett is it.   The round hits like Thor's hammer, DRT. A perfect match for Texas hog hunters.

gman47564

Quote from: Homebrewer on January 22, 2022, 04:41:24 PMGrant -
        How much barrel length did you end up with?

Good accuracy and looks like it fits well in your mini truck !

Dennis

Ended up with 17 1/2 inches of barrel..
Grant

Snaploader

Grant, nothing like American ingenuity!  I have one of those ABolts in 30-06 and thought about re-barreling it but from what I've heard it is heat pressed in...so I backed off.  It'll just stay in the safe!