News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Snafu of the day.

Started by mnbogboy, November 03, 2021, 09:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jvw2008

Wayne I believe that one would be valued above $10,000. What do you think?

LeadHammer

I still shoot mine once in awhile, it actually kicks kinda hard for a 30-30. I guess the curved steel butplate down not help lol. The action is flawless still.

sportacus

Quote from: jvw2008 on July 22, 2022, 01:23:27 PMWayne I believe that one would be valued above $10,000. What do you think?

Don't know.  Pretty sure worth at least a few thousand.  Will not sell.  I shoot it. Will pass to someone who deserves/appreciates it.  Am sure there is some history in that old rifle.  Probably put a lot of meat on the table.
If you have the shot, take it.

mnbogboy

Quote from: jvw2008 on July 22, 2022, 08:39:01 AMI believe that rifle would retain its value best if left alone. Even the really worn ones are getting up there in market value.
Serial number says It was manufactured in 1916! I foughtwithit a coupleofevnings andgotthescope mount on. I tapped the two holes to8-32 I looked at a post64 one today and they appear to bea6-32. I dont have a #36 drill bit but ido have the6-32 tap. I could drill & tap to more holes just under the two that are done.
Scope fits ok on this new mount but they recommend turning it 90° so ejected cases dont hit the turrets.
I didn't find any brass or ammo at the show.  When imreadytotryit I will getmynephew up here and explain How to properly adjust elevation & bondage with thekittywompuss scope. He has never been around guns so I'm sure He will understandwhatsgoing on
There were a fewold 94s attheshowbutididntask whattheywantedforthem. This one needs a stock. Maybe I can find ausedone on flea bay. It looks like a homemadeoeonitnow. It has a broken tang that has been brazed.
If I had the time I could weld it and makeitlook in touched.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

mnbogboy

Quote from: sportacus on July 22, 2022, 09:37:00 AMRandy,
Will jump on the bandwagon with the others.  Would keep the 1894 original.  Holds value.  I have a 94 with 24" octagon barrel produced in 1899.  Paid $600 at a estate sale 6-7 years ago.  Kept looking over my shoulder as I walked to the truck, waiting to be arrested for theft.  Has the original buckhorn sights and eyes still good enough to kill a deer out to about 125.
Wayne
Today decided to size some used brass for the creedmoors that has been waiting for att e ntion.
Wouldn't you know it I had one with a separation starting and I ripped the case he as d off extracting it from the FL die. I was able to remove the die snd expander from the Hornady die
 The case body was stuck like some do in a chamber. By running the die upside down through the press the case body was exposed to run the 7/16-14 tap into. I used the dreamed to split the bottom edge of the side wall. With t he tap screwed partway in I used a spacer over the tap and a 7/16-14 nut to pull the case body out of the die. The nut was threaded on the e shank side of yhe tap.in the meantime I wentin the house and ordered a new set of Lee dies for $42. The wife was not happy with me. I showed her the extracted case and told her I made the order. Hey its near Christmas! I'm expecting a reamer handle and extension to b e deliver e d tomorrow@, I needed that last week!she always says now what did you order? 2 barrels last week. A thread adapter and now the reamer tools. And a set of d is, I was a good boy this year so Santa ought t yo be good to me.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

MJeff23

"Merry Christmas to me" is always a good thing...

Merry Christmas!
Jeff
First impressions are forever.....you don't get a second chance

mnbogboy

Merry Christmas to all my Creedmoor brothers! I'm over halfway through my chemo therapy treatments now I have finished 4 regimens now with 4 more to go
 I will be done in early March
 These started out as 2cweeks on one week off. This time they changed it to two weeks off because of the side effects on my hands and feet! Most of the skin on my feet has peeled off leaving fresh bare baby skin which is very tender to walk on! We got 13 inches of snow over night with another 12-15 in the forecast for tonight! Shoveling is tough now with one hand and no feet .I never finished with my snowblower last year and it still sits in the garage with more work to be done.
Have a good Christmas everyone . We are not traveling this year, hoping family will come here
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

mnbogboy

Quote from: VA-XBolt on July 22, 2022, 10:28:46 AM
Quote from: sportacus on July 22, 2022, 09:37:00 AMI have a 94 with 24" octagon barrel produced in 1899.

Would love to have one of those!
In.my quest for a Thompson contender a friend has come up with one with three barrels and is willing b to trad for my model 94!
Both have similar internet value
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

mnbogboy

My last post dtroke snafu was anotherbore sighting! Trying to get a good icture i thought iwould change the powervadjustment! The scope was mounted the wrong direction, the vortex mounts have 6 ecrew caps both front and back, a lot of unscrewing gor sore fingrrs and hands! I flipped the scope and set the caps back on the way they came off ! The bsck two scews on the front csp seemeddtripped! I set the cap on offset to the resrand theback to screwsdid not find threads at all! The front four did snug down though! All said in done, loosen thescrews all over again because it wss canted about 25 degrees! Start over!!
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith