News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

Ordered a lathe

Started by autoxforfun, October 30, 2021, 10:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

autoxforfun

Quote from: gman47564 on December 09, 2021, 07:29:37 PMIm jealous bob.. someday i may have to invest in a lathe.. would have to get my boy to teach me how to use it.. lol
lol....it is a fun piece of machinery.  But don't be too jealous as it is another time sink.  Now between reloading and making stuff on the lathe, my wife hardly sees me.....which is probably not a good thing.  So need to do a bit of time management.

Youtube has been great as a learning tool.  There are a lot of videos on pretty much any topic of lathe use you ever want.  So after messing up my first fine thread, I went and watched a couple of the videos and learned some additional insights into the threading process.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

jvw2008

I've been watching their videos on both the mill and the lathe. Lot of very good instruction there - from the basics up to the more advanced.

mnbogboy

Bob how many remagebarrel have you made so far?
Ran down has the nuts forsaken fleabay for a little over $20.
I also bout a threading die(1.062-16) forthreadcleanup fromdrills& cutters. The diesel me back ahundo. Brownells also hadthemforaboutthesameprice thatswhat mysavageone(1.055-20 cost. Thoseadjustabledies clamping thethreadstight to seveasa depth guide when I'm sawingthebreech end off and also as afileguideforcleaning up the saw cuts. A saw or file won't touch the high speedster in the dies! The next one I set back will get the energy of my newsawsall.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

autoxforfun

Quote from: mnbogboy on January 10, 2022, 10:45:38 PMBob how many remagebarrel have you made so far?
Ran down has the nuts forsaken fleabay for a little over $20.
I also bout a threading die(1.062-16) forthreadcleanup fromdrills& cutters. The diesel me back ahundo. Brownells also hadthemforaboutthesameprice thatswhat mysavageone(1.055-20 cost. Thoseadjustabledies clamping thethreadstight to seveasa depth guide when I'm sawingthebreech end off and also as afileguideforcleaning up the saw cuts. A saw or file won't touch the high speedster in the dies! The next one I set back will get the energy of my newsawsall.
Hi Randy.  Well, so far I've only been practicing on some bar stock.  My first barrel will be a 204 Ruger for my Browning X-Bolt.  I should see the reamer soon from Dave Manson.  I figure if this one turns out good, doing Savage and Remage should be a piece of cake.  The Browning has a shoulder, a step for the recoil lug and a 32 tpi thread pitch....and a recessed bolt.  I figure if I can get this one right, I'm got most of the skills down.  I'll let you know how it turns out.
Bob

autoxforfun

I received the 204 Ruger reamer from Dave Manson this week so it was time to commit to chambering the barrel.  I spent quite a bit of time getting the barrel trued-up in the lathe.  It is nice that there are spiders on back side of the head stock just for this purpose.  After several hours, the barrel is chambered and the headspace looks correct.  So I now need to cut about an inch off the muzzle and put on the crown.  Shouldn't be too much longer before this Browning X-bolt gets some action.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/album/A3PUA59W97BA85:7x76QdUGRwG_NDaOn8jQog
Bob

gman47564

Bob when i click the link it just takes me to the amazon photo page .. like if i was going to put photos on my amazon photo thing..
Grant

DHuffman

Quote from: gman47564 on February 09, 2022, 08:37:31 PMBob when i click the link it just takes me to the amazon photo page .. like if i was going to put photos on my amazon photo thing..

Me too
Dave

jvw2008

autoxforfun

Bob

gman47564

That one worked.. looks good..
Grant

jvw2008

Thanks for the pics Bob. Looks like you are doing some very good work there.

autoxforfun

The X-Bolt is completed.  It started life as an Eclipse Varmint chambered in 223 Rem.  It now has a heavy varmint 204 Ruger barrel.  Need to give the barrel a cleaning to make sure all of the cutting oil and any debris is cleared out and then it is ready to take to the range.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/-r3RQit0Rvill_HbEIMPqQ.qGPiXVaYaCIBQCHFaRrr2t
Bob

gman47564

Bob that has to be very rewarding to be able to take a blank and turn it into a working barrel.. nice work..
Grant

autoxforfun

Thanks Grant.  I had a lot of fun doing it and I learned a lot.  Made you really think thru the whole process....not difficult but the sequence is important. ::)
Bob

autoxforfun

Took the new barrel out for break-in yesterday.  I just shot some factory ammo I had.  Put 5 rounds down it to set a zero and then another 5 for a group.  All done at 100 yards. The bolt cycled easily, rounds cambered nice from the magazine and overall, it did well.  I'm a happy camper with my new 204R X-Bolt

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/d8UKmEasQJWKKCU24G5qRA._PulJo_Ge1DUaoV71ej2ha
Bob