News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Ordered a lathe

Started by autoxforfun, October 30, 2021, 10:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman47564

Just be careful bob.. i see on the paper work on the front it says its top heavy.  I might be inclined to get the trailer up to the garage. Unhook the truck then take the cherry picker and pick the front of the trailer up till the back of it was on the ground.. then slide it off onto the garage floor.. keep it tied down while raising the trailer.. just a thought.. im sure you have a plan in place.. i just know heavy things can get away from a guy in a hurry..
Grant

DHuffman

Quote from: autoxforfun on December 03, 2021, 06:19:34 PMIt arrived today....tomorrow is getting if off the trailer in one piece and checking for damage.  Some of the crate was pretty beat-up and I've taken pictures just in case.

Like the sticker says, they're extremely top heavy. I'd try the cherry picker and lift from above off the bed of the machine.

What year is your dually it looks nice!
Dave

DHuffman

On the Grizzly I had for awhile there was a hole at each corner with a little door on it. I had 2 pieces of 1" sucker rod about 30" Long that would slide through the holes then I'd narrow up the forks on my skidsteer and put the extensions on and scoop it up. Was very stable handling.
Dave

autoxforfun

Quote from: gman47564 on December 03, 2021, 06:54:03 PMJust be careful bob.. i see on the paper work on the front it says its top heavy.  I might be inclined to get the trailer up to the garage. Unhook the truck then take the cherry picker and pick the front of the trailer up till the back of it was on the ground.. then slide it off onto the garage floor.. keep it tied down while raising the trailer.. just a thought.. im sure you have a plan in place.. i just know heavy things can get away from a guy in a hurry..
Grant, you are absolutely correct.....heavy things can get away from you.  I am planning on backing the trailer up to the back of the shop and using the electric jack to level/raise the front of the trailer.  The cherry picker will be used to lift the lathe and guide it down the ramps.  I think the slope will be pretty low, so should be able to progress slowly.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

autoxforfun

Quote from: HufD63 on December 03, 2021, 07:05:34 PMLike the sticker says, they're extremely top heavy. I'd try the cherry picker and lift from above off the bed of the machine.

What year is your dually it looks nice!
That is what I'm most concerned about...it is top heavy and the base is not that wide.  So using the cherry picker to stabilize it is part of my plans. 

I love my Ford diesel dually....it is a 2012 and tows the race car and my wife's horses.  
Bob

autoxforfun

Quote from: HufD63 on December 03, 2021, 07:09:13 PMOn the Grizzly I had for awhile there was a hole at each corner with a little door on it. I had 2 pieces of 1" sucker rod about 30" Long that would slide through the holes then I'd narrow up the forks on my skidsteer and put the extensions on and scoop it up. Was very stable handling.
In the manual, Grizzly shows two sets of holes to be used with rods to use to lift the lathe.  I don't have the capacity to lift the whole machine, but plan to use the cherry picker to lift one end and use that to guide it down the ramps.  Will have to see how it goes....plans are likely to change depending on how it is going.
Bob

autoxforfun

I was successful in getting it off the trailer and into the shop without getting hurt or damaging anything.  So a successful afternoon.  There was some shipment damage to the unit, mainly, some broken knobs and a few dings.  I will be calling Grizzly on Monday to see about getting them taken care of.  From what I've read, their customer support is supposed to be pretty good.

With the help of my wife and my neighbor, we were able to guide it down the ramps off the trailer.  We made use of three floor jacks to roll it down the ramps.  Then I used the cherry picker to lift each end and remove the pallet and set it on some heavy duty dollies.  Then spent a couple hours cleaning it.  Still need to reassemble some of the pieces I took off and mount and connect the DRO.  I suspect that by the end of tomorrow, I should have all of it connected, fluids filled, power connected and unit leveled so I can run thru the recommended break-in.
Bob

gman47564

Nice looking machine bob.. glad you got it off there without any problems.. was wondering earlier how it was going..
Grant

mnbogboy

Your methodvsounded like what I would try. Bolt a solid tie down into the shop floor. Grease up some blanks, lock the hubs, pull the trailer out from under it in dual low.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

autoxforfun

The unit is all setup and running.  Grizzly is working to resolve the bit of damage.  So I needed to refresh some of my learning from decades ago.  So I took a piece of Alum bar stock, cleaned up a few inches, turned down a section and then threaded it.  I went with a medium course thread....keep it simple.  This is going to fun.
Bob

DHuffman

Dave

jvw2008

Nice job Bob. Looks to me like you didn't forget very much. Lot of people can run a lathe and still not know how to cut good threads.

autoxforfun

I promise to not post everything I do....but

I have this Browning X-bolt that I bought some years ago.  It is a 223 Rem with a pretty slow twist..thinking 11:1 or so.  So really couldn't shoot anything other than light bullets.  It has sat in the safe from most of the time.  I've been thinking it would be more fun as a 204 Ruger.  So at the Nationals a few months ago, I won a certificate for a Krieger barrel.  They had a 20 caliber 27" heavy varmint in stock...so I now have the blank for the Browning.

I've wanted to be in a position to replace the barrels on my 6.5CM X-bolts too.  So I took the barrel off of the 223.  That is no small task since they are installed using some tough locking glue.   But I got it off with the help of some heat on the barrel.  The threads are a very fine pitch (32 tpi) and the face looks a bit like a Remington in that there is a relief for the bolt nose.  The challenge was the fine pitch threads....didn't know if I could do that on the lathe.   So that was the first thing I wanted to address.  

I took a piece of mild steel bar stock and tried to thread it at that pitch.  It took two tries to get it right.  But on my second attempt I got it so the action would actually screw on and the treads looked good.  From here I am going to do the bolt relief.  I don't have a reamer or any of the required holders etc to be able to chamber it....so as I wait, I'm practicing of bar stock.
Bob

gman47564

Im jealous bob.. someday i may have to invest in a lathe.. would have to get my boy to teach me how to use it.. lol
Grant

Cold Trigger Finger

Quote from: gman47564 on December 09, 2021, 07:29:37 PMIm jealous bob.. someday i may have to invest in a lathe.. would have to get my boy to teach me how to use it.. lol

I think lathes are GREAT. But I have No idea how to thread a barrel or anything.
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.