News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

New guy with questions

Started by Bigmaico, October 01, 2021, 08:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigmaico

Hello,

First post here.

Thinking about picking up a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Mostly used to hunt Deer Wild hogs here in Texas.

Been looking at a Beraga B14 HMR, not sure if I really need that type of rifle?

Looking for a good 200 to 400 yard gun.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Howard

DHuffman

Welcome aboard, pick a gun that fits and feels good.

Try several different brands. That being said I doubt you could go wrong with the Bergara, nice looking gun.
Dave

gman47564

Welcome to the forum howard.. i haven't ever handled a b14 hmr so no experience with one.. looks more like it could be more of a target rifle than a hunting rifle.. but i could very well be wrong about that.. my suggestion would be to go to some gun stores and shoulder several models of the 6.5 creedmoors.. choose the one that feels best to you.. their about all accurate.. especially out to 400 yards
Grant

jvw2008

Bergara is famous for producing one of the most accurate out of the box barrels. The model you are looking at comes in just under 10 pounds without a scope. You might want to think about climbing a tree stand with that. On the other hand the stock is perfect for pigs at distance shooting prone off a bipod.

Idahome

B14 hunter should fit the bill nicely. Pretty reasonably priced too;)

Bigmaico

jvw2008

Quote from: Idahome on October 01, 2021, 10:12:09 PMB14 hunter should fit the bill nicely. Pretty reasonably priced too;)

Definitely, however, I would much prefer the HMR for prone pig shooting and would feel much more comfortable pushing hunting shoots on hogs out to the 600 yd range. Also would prefer the HMR on steel targets out to 1000. It cost about $300 more. That extra money is in the stock and it will prove its value in long distance precision.

gman47564

Quote from: Idahome on October 01, 2021, 10:12:09 PMB14 hunter should fit the bill nicely. Pretty reasonably priced too;)

A friend of mine has a b14 hunter and its a nice hunting rifle..shoots under moa way out there with the factory 143 eldx hunting rounds from hornady.. be a good choice.. i hunt with a tikka t3xlite.. also a nice hunting rig.. lite and easy to carry .. shoots great.. theirs a ton of them out there that would make good hunting rifles..
Grant

jvw2008

The Hunter version is built to carry; the HMR is built for precision.

The HMR stock is Bergara's version of a HS Precision stock that you would see on a Savage LRP. That stands for Long Range Precision. ???? If the Hunter stock would be just as good as the HMR, Bergara would not have wasted their money producing a molded chassis stock.

If the OP is going to stick with Bergara, he will need to decide his first priority: ease of carry or long range precision. They don't come together in one stock.

gman47564

In his original post i take it that hes looking for a deer and hog rifle that will take his intended game down out to 200 to 400 yards.the b14 hunter should do that quiet well... maybe i missed something about also shooting long range precision..
Grant

jvw2008

Quote from: jvw2008 on October 01, 2021, 09:56:41 PMBergara is famous for producing one of the most accurate out of the box barrels. The model you are looking at comes in just under 10 pounds without a scope. You might want to think about climbing a tree stand with that. On the other hand the stock is perfect for pigs at distance shooting prone off a bipod.

No you didn't miss it in the the original post. I interjected it later while talking about shooting pigs from a prone position.

Since the OP is from Texas, I took the time to consider the possibility he might want to shoot distances further than he originally posted.

No big deal. He has a couple good choices in Bergara to consider while he looks at the pros and cons of each.

Bigmaico

Well I couldn't find anyone with a Bergara to check the fit of the rifle.

Found a Ruger go wild in 6.5 creedmoor .  So I got it & it will be fine for hunting.

Trying to work up a hand load, but don't have the optimum powder yet, so I though some loads with H380 & IMR 4895 to break it in.

Found some Hornady 140 gr  interlocks ( I know not the best for a 6.5) just got them because there's not much locally right now.

Planing on getting something else to load after I get the barrel broken in a bit.

jvw2008

Check our reloading section and you will find a number of different powders that will perform well for you.

Kansaswoodguy

I think those Ruger Americans are fine rifles for the money and will get the job done. If your not shooting past 500 yards 4831SC is perhaps the most accurate powder I've tested.

Bigmaico

Quote from: Kansaswoodguy on October 23, 2021, 07:22:59 PMI think those Ruger Americans are fine rifles for the money and will get the job done. If your not shooting past 500 yards 4831SC is perhaps the most accurate powder I've tested.
Thanks! I just found a pound of 4831 SC going to work up some loads & test them.