News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

Shooting 1 mile and more

Started by bill d, September 10, 2021, 10:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill d

Hello everyone hope all is well. Leaving Sunday morning for our annual 14 hour car ride to shoot long range in Kansas (1000 to 2200 yrds). 6.5 creed and 338 lapua. Went to 100yrd range today to make sure rifles were zeroed and go bang when the trigger was pulled . everything good.  I noticed for a while now when  using higher magnification i can see the scope reticle moving  every time my heart beats .  asked my buddy if he has that happen to him he said he didnt ever notice it , was wondering if any of you guys have experienced this?   Will post results good or bad when i get back  Bill D

Ranger 188

The higher the magnification the more you'll see your heartbeat.
You can adjust the way you lay your head on the stock. Or lack of.
With a big thumper, that's hard to do. With smaller calibers, it's is easy to eliminate.

Windsage

If you have an adjustable stock, you can put a bag between your shoulder and the stock to isolate it.  On the 6.5 CM, you can just weight the rifle and not shoulder it.  Most days, here in FL, if you turn the scope up all you can see is mirage.

gman47564

For me i find cheek weld causes more heartbeat movement in the scope than anything.. lightening up on the cheek weld helps with this for me..
Grant

lg65cmsd

"For me i find cheek weld causes more heartbeat movement in the scope than anything.. lightening up on the cheek weld helps with this for me.." -gman

That worked for me.   

sportacus

Grant's guidance is spot on.  Have used that tip to help shooters at my place eliminate reticle "dancing."
If you have the shot, take it.