News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

CCI 41 Failure

Started by RetiredChief, October 17, 2021, 06:52:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RetiredChief

Normally I use CCI 450 (Mag SRP) and BR-4 for my 6.5 CM. As I was Very Low so friend gave me a box of CCI 41 that he had just bought.  Tried them and found very small difference between the 3.  However I did have one failure (out of 60).  I received a notice from Brownell that the CCI 41 were back in stock so I ordered a brick.  I've used 27 so far - One took 2 tries before igniting, and one I tried 3 time - never fired.

While I wait 2 -> 3 min before opening the chamber, it still leaves me apprehensive. On the range, only effect is on nerves - Because of these failures these will never see the light-of-day deer hunting.  Subsequently I have a brick of BR-4 coming Monday.

Not the rifle, as I have NOT had a single failure with 450's, or BR-4's, or my Fed 210M (LRP). On the failed CCI41's the indent looked Normal.

boltman13

The CCI 41 Primer was specifically designed for semiauto, floating firing pin rifles, IE AR-15 or AK-47.  It is "Mil-Spec".  Using them in a bolt action rifle with a firing pin spring that delivers a lighter primer strike may cause failures or hang fires.  I would check your bolt to see if you have a firing pin spring binding or wearing out.  If it checks out you can stop using them or live with the occasional failure.  With primers so hard to come by  a stronger firing pin spring may be a viable alternative.  Good luck.

RetiredChief

Update - I also had the problem with LRPs, re-adjusted my primer tool, fixed the problem with LRPs.  Bought a new hand primer tool for SRP which seems to have fixed the problem with SRP also.
Thanks.

Mark611

Sorry guy's I'm late to the game here, but 7 days a week 10hrs a day I don't have much time for anything right now at all!!! But I did find a local shop in a small town up north of me that that had tons of powder at normal prices!!!! and I also picked up some #41 CCI primers from Brownell's, My question is for the CCI #41 primers, are they really useable for the 6.5CM? I have 2 - 8 pounders of reloader 16 and 500 pieces of Starline SP brass I have not been able to use due to the lack of small magnum rifle primers, if their even necessary? I also have 500 LP cases as well and lots of LG WIN primers to use, should I just hold off using the SP cases or will the 41"s and CCI 400 primers work with out Issues?

HufD63

The 41s or 400s should work. Ive always heard about SP brass and cold weather on 47L or Creedmoor cases but ive never experienced it. I shoot far mor SP than LP all year round.

I've personally never shot 41s they are said to be the same except for a thicker cup to prevent slam fires and or out of battery ignition in machine or semi autos. I would be more concerned with over sized / excess headspace brass failing to fire with 41s from the harder primer pushing the round ahead in the chamber.

I certainly would use them if that's what I had available.
Dave

RetiredChief

Quote from: Mark611 on December 25, 2021, 10:07:19 AMSorry guy's I'm late to the game here, but 7 days a week 10hrs a day I don't have much time for anything right now at all!!! But I did find a local shop in a small town up north of me that that had tons of powder at normal prices!!!! and I also picked up some #41 CCI primers from Brownell's, My question is for the CCI #41 primers, are they really useable for the 6.5CM? I have 2 - 8 pounders of reloader 16 and 500 pieces of Starline SP brass I have not been able to use due to the lack of small magnum rifle primers, if their even necessary? I also have 500 LP cases as well and lots of LG WIN primers to use, should I just hold off using the SP cases or will the 41"s and CCI 400 primers work with out Issues?

Not a big difference between BBR-4, CCI-450, And CCI 41.  A friend gave me 100 #41 and ask me to compare them (to BBR-4)- 4 shots (Gun - 6.5 CM Savage, 42.5 gr Staball 6.5, Peterson Cases, BBR-4 vs 41's).
 The #41's gave me 20 ft/sec higher Vo, Slightly lower SD 8.99 vs 9.5), slightly smaller group with CCI-41's.  Do not Have and CCI -400's

Mark611

Thank you, guy's, I also have a few K of some Win standard small rifle primers, which I was afraid to try with SP cases due to not knowing for sure if they would work? I have read conflicting info about using non magnum primers vs the magnum primers, But I have also read where another member here has used standard SRP in his 6.5CM with different powders without issues, I guess when I get time I have some testing to do! I'll save the #41's for my AR 6.5GRR 8)