News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Cross Hairs Level???

Started by rifle48, June 26, 2013, 12:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rifle48

Question for discussion; how important is it to have the cross hairs level when shooting long distance 600+ yards; also if not level how much will being off affect accuracy??????????????? :-\

swampthang

it matters a lot !!!
 to get the most out of your rifle the scope must be leveled with the rifle itself and then the rifle must be shot while on a level rest.
in a right hand twist barrel if the bullet leaves the bore twisting to the right and it will naturally try to push the bullet high and to the right on impact. but when you start with all components LEVEL it reduces the effect thus placing rounds in your intended sight path. hope this makes sense. I know what im trying to say but may not have given a good explaination. just keep EVERYTHING LEVEL and you'll see an improvement at long ranges.
"kill em all"

Rob01

Very, very important. If you can't do it without a level on the rifle then get a level installed on the rifle. But when you do and install it, make sure that it is truly level. Don't just buy a level and throw it on and assume it's level especially for base mounted units as machining can make them off. A scope mounted unit is easier to mount 100% level as you can level the rifle and then install it making sure it's level as you tighten the screws.

blt65

Rob01

Mounting the scope level is very important but I was talking about, and I thought the OP was as well, keeping the crosshair level while shooting long range. I was speaking about something like below being mounted on the scope. This is just one brand and not something I recommend as there are other brands that are cheaper and work equally well as it is just a simple bubble level.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/3256124741/flatline-ops-fixed-scope-level-matte

blt65

Ooops after reading the postings again I think you're right Rob.  I always get caught up in the details when building a gun and I was just assuming he was talking about mounting the scope level.  However, both are very critical as if you don't start off with a level scope you are doomed.  BTW, the 300 win mag is coming along, starting with a 30 inch schneider barrel (probably cut down to 28 inches), got the action squared up last weekend, just waiting on the oversized bolt now so I can headspace and bore out the chamber.  Slowly but surely. 

swampthang

KEEP US POSTED ON HOW SHE'S COMMING, CANT WAIT TO SEE HER AND SEE HOW SHE SHOOTS.
WHEN THE TIME COMES I HAVE A COUPLE OF GREAT RECIPIES FOR A 300 WIN MAG. ONE IS A 3,336 FPS LOAD WITH A 165 GR SIERRA BTHP AND THE OTHER IS A MILDER 3200 FPS LOAD WITH THE 175GR BERGERS. BOTH LOADS ARE SUB MOA AT 1000YDS AND DEER DONT STAND A CHANCE ( IF YOUR INTERESTED THAT IS)
"kill em all"

gorillamotors

Jim Harris
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid". Sgt Stryker

Rob01

Mike's video is basically how I mount a scope. I use less levels but his way works well.

6.5m10accutriggermax1

I learned a simple method from an old man with skills and knowledge. Before you mount your scope to the rings use a bipod to level your rifle with a bubble level from the square cut on the breach of your action. Boresight your rifle to a visible wall corner inside your home. Doublecheck your level in the corner and on your action. Then place gently your scope in the scope rings and gently snug your front ring loose enough to line up your verticle crosshair with the corner line or door jam. As you tighten your rear ring screws tighten them in tiny increments to insure alignment. Once they are snug tighten the front ring in the same fashion. The reason this works is simply not all turrets are exactly square to the verticle  crosshairs. This may sound hokey but when knowledge comes down from experienced elders, its a fool who doesn't take heed. Reminder: the verticle corner or verticle door jam must be vertically level as well as the action of the rifle. Without having it done scientifically/professionally,  you can't get it much more level.

devildogandboy

another way of doing it minus the door jamb would be a plumb, nothing more true than it. as you know door jambs(especially today) may not be perfect!

Bruce 
Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.

6.5m10accutriggermax1

Your exactly right Bruce! Without having to ensure first off that your door jam or wall corner is exactly true. A plumb bob would be exact.