News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

Vortex venom

Started by chazwood, June 06, 2021, 03:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chazwood

I took delivery of a new vortex venom on Friday. It's very impressive for the money.
I purchased it to go on my tikka T1 witch I've been using for 22 PRS style comps. As it currently has an NF atacr on it (quite ridiculous).
The glass is much better than expected everything seems quite Solid. There's no frills, no lumiated reticle, no locking turret. Both of which I don't care for. Only thing I'd add is capped windage turret.
I'm so impressed I might buy a couple and replace some scopes that I'm not particularly fond of.

BCz

What is the magnification of these scopes, I thought I read they have zero stop?

chazwood

Quote from: BCz on June 06, 2021, 02:04:55 PMWhat is the magnification of these scopes, I thought I read they have zero stop?
They are 5-25. And yes it has a zero stop. It's the one where you put the ring in after it's zeroed. It would seem to go 4 tenths below zero.
This is the first vortex I've owned so all new to me. Over all its a very impressive for the price.
Time will tell how it goes but with the vortex warranty it shouldn't matter much.

Rob01

The zero stop can be set to go below zero if you like. I have mine at .5 mils below my zero. I have had a Venom for about 3 months and it is a very nice scope in the range. Glass is close to the Strike Eagle 5-25 and the main differences between the two are the Strike Eagle has illumination and a locking turret but the Venom does not. Both have zero stops which limit travel to 18 mils but put on a 30 or 40 MOA base it won't be needed and leave less than a full turn under zero. The Strike Eagle has 31 mils or 110 MOA and the Venom has 25 mils and 85 MOA. They both also come with a switchview lever which is nice. All in all for $499 the Venom is a good buy.

Couple pics of Venom on rifle and with Strike Eagle 5-25 being held next to it.

LeadHammer

How is the eye box on the Venom? Same as the Strike Eagles? I like my Athlon Ares BTR gen 2 but the eye box is tight.

chazwood

I haven't had any trouble with it but mostly I only run it in the midrange of magnification, unless I'm zeroing then I max it out weather permitting.

LeadHammer

Good to hear.
My BTR is mostly used at 20x.