News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

6 mm dasher

Started by gman47564, May 04, 2021, 07:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

autoxforfun

Quote from: gman47564 on May 14, 2021, 06:43:09 PM.. im starting to think its this nosler brass..

Grant, are you using Norma or Nosler Brass.....I'm going to assume Norma.  Just a couple thoughts. 
1) When talking to the guys that shoot Dashers, I seem to recall a comment about Norma brass and having a sticking bolt.  But I also heard this about early Alpha brass as well.  It all was blamed on brass thickness and the neck being too large in diameter. 
2) Are there any marks on the brass that could indicate a burr that is hanging up the release of the brass?
3) I can ship you a handful of Alpha brass to try if you want for comparison.   I loaded a couple for the barrel guy to check (no power or primer) and the loaded neck diameter was 0.268 with the Alpha brass.  I have not loaded any Norma and compared the two.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

gman47564

gregg the loaded round chambers easy... the norma brass has alot longer neck than the others but i have trimed them down to where they should be... my chamber is cut to 1.555 to the mouth.. my cases are trimmed to 1.540.. the 200 datum line is .4708 on the reamer print... new norma cases measure .467  fired cases measures .470. base to shoulder grows .002 from new to fired... i really dont know why im getting heavy bolt lift even with really mild loads...
Grant

gman47564

Quote from: autoxforfun on May 14, 2021, 09:01:10 PMGrant, are you using Norma or Nosler Brass.....I'm going to assume Norma.  Just a couple thoughts. 
1) When talking to the guys that shoot Dashers, I seem to recall a comment about Norma brass and having a sticking bolt.  But I also heard this about early Alpha brass as well.  It all was blamed on brass thickness and the neck being too large in diameter. 
2) Are there any marks on the brass that could indicate a burr that is hanging up the release of the brass?
3) I can ship you a handful of Alpha brass to try if you want for comparison.   I loaded a couple for the barrel guy to check (no power or primer) and the loaded neck diameter was 0.268 with the Alpha brass.  I have not loaded any Norma and compared the two.

norma bob.. i need to edit my post
Grant

gman47564

no marks at all on the brass that i can see that would be causing any problems... their sealing up good when fired... no soot around the outside of the necks or anything like that... mine has a .270 neck in it .. a loaded round measures .266 after turning the necks... a fired case measures .269
Grant

gman47564

tommorrow im going to paint the entire case with a sharpie and fire it and see if i can figure out where its getting tight at
Grant

DHuffman

I think I'd send 3 fired cases, fired 3x each neck sized only if possible between firings to

https://www.harrellsprec.com/

They have the die you need on the shelf for $70 bushings not included.

I've tried different dies in different BRA chambers and always wind back up on my Harrels die.
Dave

gman47564

The rounds chamber fine dave.. i feel the forester competition fl die is doing its job.. its sizing the 200 datum line a .001 below chamber spec.. i may have found my issue with a colored case.. there was 2 pretty good marks down by the 200 line.. i cleaned the chamber up with some never dull and jb paste. It looks good in there now. Not so much before i polished it a little.. haven't had a chance to shoot it yet as im trying to get my garden planted before the rain gets here this evening..
Grant

DHuffman

I understand they're chambering fine. If your chamber polish didn't do the trick the die is obviously not getting the case sized good enough to extract.

With a Lapua chamber and Norma brass a Lapua chamber die may not be quite right from an extraction standpoint.

Chambering is only half the battle on die fit.
Dave

gman47564

Polishing the chamber did the trick.. ran a 107 gr mk up to 2990 with rl16 and bolt lift was ok.. now to figure out what she likes..
Grant

gman47564

Now that i got my bolt lift problem sorted out i went back to the ladder i did with the h4895 and 103 eldx blems.. (wish i could get my hands on a box of 105 hybrids). The ladder showed the flat spot at 2960 so thats where i tested these groups.. i would call the 30.5 charge good but im not sure it is yet.. i dont like how the 3 groups are falling down and away.. will test them some more at 300 next time
Grant

jvw2008

That is not a ladder. It's a OCW. But you called it right at 30.5 I believe.

gman47564

No Jerry them 3 charges came from the ladder i did earlier..
Grant

gman47564

Today i wanted to take that 30.5 charge and work on seating at 300 yards.. my original load was .020 off.. heres a pic of the group at 300
Grant

gman47564

I seated 3 more at .015 off.
Grant

gman47564

Then i seated 3 more at .025 off. I knew i was heading in the right direction with this one
Grant