Main Menu

RL-19 with Berger 130 OTM

Started by Boostmeister, April 17, 2021, 12:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHuffman

I like 45, was this virgin brass?
Dave

jvw2008

Primers look healthy. Minimal POI movement on those targets across your charge spread. I was surprised by that. I like 45 as well. Do you know what the velocity changes were on these loads?

jvw2008

Boostmeister

Quote from: HufD63 on April 20, 2021, 05:13:58 PMI like 45, was this virgin brass?
This was once fired Peterson brass.  Full length resized enough to bump the shoulder back .0015, then ran an expander mandrel (with case dipped in Redding dry lube) to open the neck.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.  - Mark Twain

Boostmeister

Quote from: jvw2008 on April 20, 2021, 05:35:19 PMPrimers look healthy. Minimal POI movement on those targets across your charge spread. I was surprised by that. I like 45 as well. Do you know what the velocity changes were on these loads?
I do not.  That was much of my concern.  I am at my Winter residence in Arizona and don't have my Oehler 35P with me.  I like to increase powder charges in .3 gr increments and measure MV, looking for linear fps changes.  Not having a chrono down here is really flying blind.  I saw on loaddata.com that MAX charge with RL19 and Berger 130's was 44.0 gr.  44 looked pretty good, and I have been hesitant to increase charge until Marshall indicated that the Swift manual on a similar bullet went as high as 47 gr.  Haven't had the guts to go that high yet.  Might mess with a load of 44.8 - 45.2 and vary the seating depth.  Otherwise I may wait till I can bring my chrono down here in the Fall.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.  - Mark Twain

jvw2008

My apologies Boostmeister. You told us that earlier and I forgot.

gman47564

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/65-creedmoor/

Heres a link to nosler load data for a 130 gr. Pill.. it doesnt show rl19 but it does show rl 15 and rl 17.. if you notice on the max charge of rl17 it gives a 98% case fill.. so i kinda doubt that you can fill the case too much with rl19.. how full was the case on your 45.4 charge.. nice shooting by the way..
Grant

Philbie

I have 2 chronographs you can borrow if needed.  Old school shoot though and a magnetospeed.  East Mesa, Val Vista and University. 
Tell me about the rabbits George, tell me about the rabbits.......

The Marshall

Your 44.2 grain load or the 44.8 grain load seem to be the ones to shoot more. Since the velocity and bullet weight are high enough for deer, the choice of what rifle to take can be the toughest part (aside from finding the deer).
The primers all look good enough to use those loads if you want to.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
Every man has got to know his limits.

Boostmeister

Quote from: gman47564 on April 20, 2021, 07:03:59 PMhttps://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/65-creedmoor/

Heres a link to nosler load data for a 130 gr. Pill.. it doesnt show rl19 but it does show rl 15 and rl 17.. if you notice on the max charge of rl17 it gives a 98% case fill.. so i kinda doubt that you can fill the case too much with rl19.. how full was the case on your 45.4 charge.. nice shooting by the way..
Quote from: Philbie on April 20, 2021, 08:09:32 PMI have 2 chronographs you can borrow if needed.  Old school shoot though and a magnetospeed.  East Mesa, Val Vista and University. 
A very gracious offer.  Thank you so much, but I am heading back to our Wisconsin home in less than two weeks, so I think this will wait till I return in the Fall.  I can get back to load development on my MPA 6.5 PRC.  I am getting closer to buying a Labradar unit as it is easier to utilize at a busy range like Rio Solado.  Trying to set up my Oehler 35P at a quiet range in NW WI is no issue, but here it is much more challenging.  Maybe time for an upgrade along with an annealing setup.  My Winter home is in Peralta Trail, so maybe I can buy you an adult beverage when I return in the Fall.  I think my return may be a permanent one.  Really love my lake place in WI, but Winter is soooooo much better here.  Besides, I can motorcycle year round here.

Philbie

Also have a bench source annealer that I've only used once in 7 years.  Looking for a new home.
Tell me about the rabbits George, tell me about the rabbits.......

Boostmeister

Just wanted to follow up with the group.  I loaded three rounds each of 44.6, 44.8, and 45 gr of RL19, and varied the seating depth.  I went either side of my standard BTO distance of 2.202 by .010, and then finally loaded 6 rounds of 44.8 gr, and seated the bullets .020 and .030 closer to the lands.  Both the .020 and .030 groups opened up, but 44.6 gr of RL19 produced some nice groups.  I've been able to shoot one shot one hole groups for a long time, but this was my first one hole three shot group!  Distance was limited to 100 yards for all testing as I felt that the wind would give me bogus info.

The Marshall

That's the best load work up I've seen for a hunting rifle. Well done. Now go whack an animal knowing you've absolutely done the work to make it an exceptional load.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
Every man has got to know his limits.