News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

Some Creedmoor varients

Started by mnbogboy, March 14, 2021, 09:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHuffman

Quote from: mnbogboy on April 01, 2021, 10:02:06 PMno, just a 30 cal barrel that will accept all the other brsds mentioned. The smaller bulletswill rattle down the bore.

So now I gotta ask "why"? That surely can't do the bore any good....

Sorry I'm not more up to speed on this I've been preoccupied trying to get my, match guns running LOL
Dave

mnbogboy

Dont know why buti will never know until i try.  This will solve the ammo shortage  and make a place for all the brass in the scrap box.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

jvw2008

Have you thought about doing fire forming with cream of wheat? Might be safer than putting small Bullets down a larger bore and would save components.

mnbogboy

What can i expect from small bullets in the larger bore other than accelerated throat erosion?
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

jvw2008

Quote from: mnbogboy on April 02, 2021, 03:27:41 PMWhat can i expect from small bullets in the larger bore other than accelerated throat erosion?

Well Randy I don't know. I've never had occasion to do that. I would be a little concerned about what a small bullet might do to the rifling as it rattles its way down the bore. Dropping from a 308 bore to a 257 bullet is quite a difference. I think there is a potential for the bullet to shred and then lead to debris accumulating in the barrel causing a catastrophic pressure spike.

Like I said, I have no experience there and not read of anyone else doing that. Be safe my friend.

gman47564

Im a little concerned as well with your safety when doing this randy.. no personal experience trying it but it concerns me.. i would be afraid with all the hot gases being able to go around the bullet as its wobbling down the bore it could soften it to the point it may deform and get lodged in the barrel.. we all know what happens when the next one is sent..would hate to hear about something bad happening  to ya buddy..

Could you use a mandrel and partially size the necks to the desired size plus creating a false shoulder to help with the ftf's
Grant

mnbogboy

Quote from: gman47564 on April 02, 2021, 06:36:19 PMIm a little concerned as well with your safety when doing this randy.. no personal experience trying it but it concerns me.. i would be afraid with all the hot gases being able to go around the bullet as its wobbling down the bore it could soften it to the point it may deform and get lodged in the barrel.. we all know what happens when the next one is sent..would hate to hear about something bad happening  to ya buddy..

Could you use a mandrel and partially size the necks to the desired size plus creating a false shoulder to help with the ftf's
the brass is snug as  far as i am now. The ftfs are not caused by loose headspace the firing pin has not even touched the primers. I am not sure that the case heads end up too low in the original 3006 chamber. Have more to check.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

DHuffman

Quote from: mnbogboy on April 02, 2021, 10:41:15 PMthe brass is snug as  far as i am now. The ftfs are not caused by loose headspace the firing pin has not even touched the primers. I am not sure that the case heads end up too low in the original 3006 chamber. Have more to check.

I'm still not sure I understand the purpose of all this Randy.

A FTF during a FF operation is usually excess headspace so If the ftf's are not caused by headspace but because the case is too low in the chamber I think you need to stop immediately because if they're that loose at the case head and one does somehow go off I'd expect it to rupture or separate the case head pretty violently.

If I'm misunderstanding and talking out my ass then disregard.
Dave

mnbogboy

Quote from: HufD63 on April 03, 2021, 11:39:58 AMI'm still not sure I understand the purpose of all this Randy.

A FTF during a FF operation is usually excess headspace so If the ftf's are not caused by headspace but because the case is too low in the chamber I think you need to stop immediately because if they're that loose at the case head and one does somehow go off I'd expect it to rupture or separate the case head pretty violently.

If I'm misunderstanding and talking out my ass then disregard.
javent been in the shop for a couple of fays. I dont think the chamber is that loose. The reamer would jave had to be way ofg to get ot that way. Hopeflly i get out there soon to investigate. A ruptured cade head wpuld be a cayadyrophy for sire.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

mnbogboy

Thanks grant, ive watched several videos including that one
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

mnbogboy

Stilll no joy.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

mnbogboy

I got to reading this old post and it reminded me of why I had the ftf problem that lasted so long!
Pit turned out that the priming pins on my old heaters presses were bent and they were starting the primers cock eyed in the primer pockets extra pressure on the press handle was then deformity the cprimer cups enough that the anvils were falling loose from the primer! I replaced the pins and that instantly led to easiercriming and no more loose anvils when I deprived! If I rember right I had the loose anvils problem for several years!! Ftfs are pretty much non existent now and since I bought a Lyman hand priming tool things have become much easier!
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

mnbogboy

Quote from: mnbogboy on April 01, 2021, 10:02:06 PMno, just a 30 cal barrel that will accept all the other brsds mentioned. The smaller bulletswill rattle down the bore.
this experiment never panned out and that was 3 years ago! I'm only looking at old posts today to kill time!
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

jvw2008

Good to see you back on the forum sir!!

DHuffman

Quote from: mnbogboy on April 05, 2024, 12:07:19 AMthis experiment never panned out and that was 3 years ago! I'm only looking at old posts today to kill time!

I was wondering if Jerry was going to have to write you another letter and reel you back in.
Dave