News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

Some Creedmoor varients

Started by mnbogboy, March 14, 2021, 09:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnbogboy

My right hand womean forbid me to go out & shoot these today per doctors orders (no shooting).  Id rather not breath if thats allowed. Had the mag speed already strapped to the barrel.  In this mix are a few factory 308.  I chambered this using a 308 hs gauge and hopefully a crush fit as an Ackley imp.
Very cirious to ee the velocitys of the 243 cased 243 100 gr. b  ullets amd compare them to known 6mm creeds
Also the 25 calibet version is loaded with 95 grain bullets.
I also loaded some 708 cases with 120 gr vmax
The 30tc vetsion is loaded with 150 fmjs
All loads are 40 grains of H335 that stuff meters very eady. After forgetting to prime a couple of cases the whole charge ran out the flash hole.  Making a mess in the cartridge block.
My hospital stay had me dreaming up this trial almost everyday. Convertinh the brass all to 6.5 creed makes it fit ok in the 30tc chamber
I do have sme loaded 6.5 creed ammo & 243 that i may try also.  Hoping that after i get it boresighted thar i can print 3 or 4 groups on the same target.
Call me crazy because i feel crazy woth this one.
I ended up shoryening the barrel to 19.75 inches and put a QCB brake on it.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

DHuffman

When fire forming from x47L to improved recently I was beginning to regret not having the barrel threaded for a brake. The recoil on the slick bags would get your attention.  My friend caught the scope across the nose and drew a little blood.

I was FF with 40g h4350 behind a 133 but now with a formed case 40.8 has much less recoil and it's easy to free recoil it and "catch" the gun when it breaks the grip on the bags.
Hadn't noticed it before and found it interesting.
Dave

mnbogboy

Firdt day back to my bench. Tried to chamber first round pulled it out a slight swishing sound (loose powder flowing. Another trip yo the house to get a ram rod.  Try putting on muffs with only one hand.
Could not bore sight because i couldnt see all the way througj the brake.  Maybe the ports wre causing shadows? Have an appointment with opthamologist in a couple weeks to determine the damage/ stroke effects to my left eye. Truly today wasa lesson in futility.  Wife was dead set against me tryingshe said doctor said no driving no firesrms (liberal) no alcohol no shed hunting whicj is next on my slateno power tools guess building a nother house is out. If i cant shoot or walk in the woods what can i do?
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

gman47564

Chase the wife around the house...???? give it time randy.. listen to the doc's.. it will get better.. hang in there..
Grant

mnbogboy

Quote from: gman47564 on March 15, 2021, 06:18:27 PMChase the wife around the house...???? give it time randy.. listen to the doc's.. it will get better.. hang in there..
my chase around the house days left me asa younger man digging out old Merle Haggard sonhs as we speak
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

jvw2008

Keep experimenting Randy. You will find new ways to do the things that give you satisfaction. You just have to be willing to adapt along the way.

mnbogboy

Still struggling with this monster. A day at the doctors & opthamologist.  My left hand was swollen up including all the fingers due to traumatic nerve damage from the stroke. The doctor cut my wedding ring off with a couple of different ring cutters. Not real pleasant especially with sore joints. Not sure if the swelling wasnt related to the covid vaccination i had last week in the left arm.  Eye foc said all looked ok but today again i couldnt see well enough to bore sight the new barrel.  Wanted to get some velocities of the assorted ammo i made up. Lots of ftf mayne due to repurposed primers & powder. Thinking it could be a bolt problem but havent tore it down uet.
Click was the norm no primer dents.  I need my baclordered rcbs puller colleyts to show up from uncle larry so i can pull these assorted cartridges apart.  244 257 6.5 7mm & 308 to pull down. All the cases i made fit and chambered easily including the factory 308 that one of my sons brought me a couple of weeks ahao. Curious to see how good the brake worked as a 308.  6.5 creed 243 257 creed and 708 all fit nicely.also 360 &308 fit easily also. Kind of a hassle sizing everything to fit the chamber and also hold the desired bullets.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

DHuffman

Keep plugging away Randy, it has to get better.
Dave

mnbogboy

After boresighting i tried to push the bolt back in with my mouth while my right hand was running tje trigger & bolt stop998u glad it was nt 30 below again or my lips may have welded themselves to the bolt knob. Lol
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Ranger 188

Damn, you really want to shoot!
That Minnesota can do attitude.

mnbogboy

Bolt. Apart...some of the loose powder (fine grained H335 had the firing pin all gummed up. Must have dumped on the bolt head when the gun was stood up in the safe. Ehen the bullet pulled a few days ago the powder poured into the magazine.  Its so fine it runs out of a flash hole if a primer is forgotten...syroke complications on memory...did it twice.  The fine powder may have found its way down the bolt head also. And slowed the p@in fall. My diagnosis.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

DHuffman

In my 6.5Stabal experience I've encountered a lot of this.
It's a very fine cut ball powder and is a mess to deal with if not properly handled.
Dave

mnbogboy

A trip out to the bench today again ended up in failure.
More ftfs still anxious to see if i can fire all these different carts in the same chamber. 308 708 260 and 6.5 creed also the 6 creed & 25 creed.
Todays ftf were not related to the bolt as last weeks were. A trip back into shop with@a quick bolt rear down.  Alsoi brought some primed cases out with me to test the strike but no luck with them. Next trip hopefully i will get tge numbers@im looking for.
Those velocities may determine what i build next! Im thinking a 10 twist 25 creed. 2 10twist barrels@on tge@shelf.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

DHuffman

Quote from: mnbogboy on April 01, 2021, 03:55:43 PMA trip out to the bench today again ended up in failure.
More ftfs still anxious to see if i can fire all these different carts in the same chamber. 308 708 260 and 6.5 creed also the 6 creed & 25 creed.
Todays ftf were not related to the bolt as last weeks were. A trip back into shop with@a quick bolt rear down.  Alsoi brought some primed cases out with me to test the strike but no luck with them. Next trip hopefully i will get tge numbers@im looking for.
Those velocities may determine what i build next! Im thinking a 10 twist 25 creed. 2 10twist barrels@on tge@shelf.

You've definitely got me curious and confused ????

Am I understanding correctly that you have wildcat reamed a 6, 25, 6.5, 7 & 30 cal barrels to make a creedmoor variant of each and are trying to basically AI ff them from other brass off a shoulder crush?

Dave

mnbogboy

Quote from: HufD63 on April 01, 2021, 09:33:20 PMYou've definitely got me curious and confused ????

Am I understanding correctly that you have wildcat reamed a 6, 25, 6.5, 7 & 30 cal barrels to make a creedmoor variant of each and are trying to basically AI ff them from other brass off a shoulder crush?

no, just a 30 cal barrel that will accept all the other brsds mentioned. The smaller bulletswill rattle down the bore.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith