News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

bullet recommendation for elk and oryx

Started by Hawkeye_12, January 25, 2021, 09:22:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkeye_12

I am planning on hunting both elk and oryx this year and im just looking for ideas on what bullet i should look into for reloading. i shoot Hornady 140 SST for deer and they are deadly, but i dont think the sst is really a good choice for either of the bigger game animals. What do you guys that hunt these animals use in your setups??

Thedutchman

Nosler Partition or Nosler Accubond,...and never look back.

Cheers. Dutch.

LeadHammer

What rifle and what distance?  I agree on the SST, they won't hold up on large animals.  130 SST's explode in my 270win on deer.

eas1949

NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

Hawkeye_12

ok guys. i was referring to a bullet to use in my 6.5 creedmore.

eas1949

Swift A-Frame 140 gr. 6.5mm

Eric

https://www.swiftbullets.com/pages/bullets

NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

BCz

I know of a bull that fell in its tracks to a 143eldx this year out of a 6.5cm

hotshotr2

Nosler 140 grain accubond. They hold together and bull's hit the ground when shot by them!
Marvin

Denver Steve

Nosler 140 grain Partition
Nosler 140 grain Accubond
Swift 140 grain A-frame
Hornady 140 grain Gmx
Hornady 160 grain RN Interlock
Lapua 155 grain Mega and 140 grain Naturalis
All woodleigh 6.5mm projectiles
Norma 156 grain Oryx, Alaska, Vulkan and 143 grain Bondstrike

I find the 142 grain Accubond long range is a great performer on elk sized animals as long as the impact velocity isn't too high. Great option if the shot is going to be a bit further.
The Norma and woodleigh bullets don't seem to get enough love for some reason. Great bullets. My sister just killed a elk using the 156 Oryx out of a creedmoor. Bullet performed flawlessly.

AFraser

Lapua 139gr Scenar penetrates larger animals very well, but still expands well on smaller deer-sized game.
It's also very easy to develop an accurate load for.

lofty

Quote from: Denver Steve on February 01, 2021, 09:06:26 AMNosler 140 grain Partition
Nosler 140 grain Accubond
Swift 140 grain A-frame
Hornady 140 grain Gmx
Hornady 160 grain RN Interlock
Lapua 155 grain Mega and 140 grain Naturalis
All woodleigh 6.5mm projectiles
Norma 156 grain Oryx, Alaska, Vulkan and 143 grain Bondstrike

I find the 142 grain Accubond long range is a great performer on elk sized animals as long as the impact velocity isn't too high. Great option if the shot is going to be a bit further.
The Norma and woodleigh bullets don't seem to get enough love for some reason. Great bullets. My sister just killed a elk using the 156 Oryx out of a creedmoor. Bullet performed flawlessly.

I use Woodleigh bullets in my 7x57 Steve. Great bullet with heaps of penetration. I have a Creedmoor I use for long range match shooting and seriousl;y thinking about getting one just for hunting.