News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

What's the latest wonder solvent for rifles?

Started by dadajack, January 11, 2021, 11:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sportacus

Quote from: jvw2008 on January 11, 2021, 06:18:26 PMI'm not a fan of the ammonia stuff   Shooters Choice is very different from Butches. My wife gets pretty pissy when I open Butches but doesn't  say a word when I grab the SC. ????

For me Kroil is the key to shut down any latent chemical reaction so I always end with several pass throughs with the red stuff before I consider it done. One of the reasons I still hang on to the M Pro is I can use it and walk away with no concerns. Oh, also it works. ???? I really like the M Pro to soak off the crown carbon. No scrubbing of that delicate metal needed. Soak and then just wipe it off.
Have picked up some nuggets from these exchanges.  Thanks. Firing up my Hoppe's No. 9 scented candle as I type.  Aroma therapy.
If you have the shot, take it.

Rob01

I always run a few patches of Kroil through after cleaning with Butch's and then a few dry patches. I know it's clean then.

gman47564

Rob01 you say you know its clean.. do you verify that with a bore scope.. just curious
Grant

Ranger 188

This has been debated for years.
As others have said, most work.  You just need to be aware
of the ones with ammonia and don't leave them in very long.
I'm with Jerry and Rob, like to run a patch or 2 with just a nice oil
to "deactivate" the other chemicals I previously put in.
Plus it won't "dry" the barrel out.
Just me.

gman47564

Quote from: Ranger 188 on January 11, 2021, 06:44:58 PMThis has been debated for years.
As others have said, most work.  You just need to be aware
of the ones with ammonia and don't leave them in very long.
I'm with Jerry and Rob, like to run a patch or 2 with just a nice oil
to "deactivate" the other chemicals I previously put in.
Plus it won't "dry" the barrel out.
Just me.

I do the same thing.. i run a couple wet patches of pro shot clp after cleaning then a dry one ..
Grant

Rob01

Quote from: gman47564 on January 11, 2021, 06:43:28 PMRob01 you say you know its clean.. do you verify that with a bore scope.. just curious

Nope. Don't own one. Just know it's clean because it smells like kroil then. LOL

gman47564

Grant

jvw2008

Well I think we've beat the h*ll out of this subject. ????

DHuffman

Dave

mnbogboy

Quote from: sportacus on January 11, 2021, 06:01:20 PMThink Kroil would probably clean up any Blackhorn 209 residue my regular cleaning did not grab.  About to clean and put the muzzleloaders up till next season.  Will run KG carbon cleaner through one and Kroil through another.  Blackhorn a quantum jump from where I started with Goex FFg in 1980.  But, when I siphoned boiling, soapy water through that barrel, knew it was spanking clean.  Late wife Melissa banished me to way, way away from the house when I cleaned my T/C Hawken. Stanky.

Stanky...lol.....Back in the 70s in WI my buddy Jim came over showing me how to operate my first 40 cal percussion .
Well he brought his flint lock & we had a good time shooting out back.  ....  we brought them in the walk-in basement and he showed me the ropes of cleaning...good day all in all.....my ex-wife said to me after he left...."boy did Jim have bad gas"! ????
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

autoxforfun

Like others, I'm a fan of Bore Tech products.  Give their 'Eliminator' product a try.  I find it works well on Copper and Carbon for when I need to do a quick cleaning.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

LeadHammer

Has anyone used KG1, 12 products?  Seems to get good reviews online.
I just cleaned my 270win barrel with wipeout overnight, and did a few alternating Barnes CL10  ( ammonia ) and G96 this morning to neutralize it between patches and brushes. ( No borescope here.)

Ranger 188

The KG products are OK.
They can be left in the barrel for a longer time and it
lets them work better.

dadajack

Quote from: jvw2008 on January 11, 2021, 08:16:05 PMWell I think we've beat the h*ll out of this subject. ????

Peacefully though... as much as something can be beat to h3ll I guess...
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
I have a lot of guns... There, I said it.

jvw2008

I think the take home message is - there are a lot of good products out there. I would interject though that you really can not effectively judge how good a product is working for you without scoping the bore. I know there are those who don't believe that. Invariably, they are individuals who do have or do not use a scope. It's true: sometimes ignorance can be bliss. It boggles my mind that every serious shooter doesn't use a bore scope when they can now be purchased for less than the average cost of a couple boxes of ammo.