News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Alamo Precision Rifles

Started by sportacus, December 17, 2020, 05:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sportacus

Have lusted for one of their rifles since a forum member was pushing them several years ago.  If the planets align, want a Maverick left hand in 6.5 PRC.  Garrett answered the phone today.  Asked if they would do it. "Yep."
If you have the shot, take it.

hotshotr2

Sportacus: I have 3 rifles built from them and they shoot extremely well.. And for the money you wont find a custom rifle built any better!

If you folks haven't checked out "Alamo Precision Rifles" you should..  I have no affiliation with them but can only speak to the quality of product.
Marvin

sportacus

hotshotr2,
My deposit is down.  Hunter said 14-16 weeks.  Conservative guess, 1 June.  Have a question for you.  How do they bed their rifles?

hotshotr2

Sportacus: i know they are all glass bedded but dont know if there pillar bedded or what means they do their bedding.. I do know you can expect things like this from them.
1) Best Group is a 3 shot group out of my wifes .28 nosler
2) Lisa's 28 nosler group is * high shot is the sighter* the cluster is a 5 shot group.

When you can cover every shot with a dime- I"m happy!! If you take your time with load development like I know you do- you'll have a rifle that flat out shoots. Everyone one of them I bought shoot's better than I can for sure!!
Marvin

hotshotr2

Sportacus: Here is an interesting read- Seems like a lot PRS shooters chose APR as their gunmakers.

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2019/01/28/best-gunsmith/
Marvin

sportacus

hotshotr2,
Thanks.  Great groups.  Will call the boys at APR next week and ask about bedding.  Trying not to bug them 'cause I know they are real busy.  Have read/viewed just about everything out there on APR rifles.  Only complaints I have seen are delays on delivery.  Have enough factory on hand to break in and hunt this next season.  Have a friend that will build me a hunting load.  I already passed him the components.  As of now, dies are the issue.  On back order.

sportacus

Talked to Hunter on Friday, the three month mark since I made the deposit.  Receiver and barrel in hand.  They are expecting a shipment of AG Composite stocks this week.  FEDEX dropped off the dies and shell holder yesterday.  A slow process but hoping it will be worth it. 

hotshotr2

sportacus: So you get your speciality rifle yet? I hope you have it in your hands and shooting one hole groups with it...
Marvin

sportacus

Marvin,
No joy yet.  23 July will be six months since I made the deposit.  Call once a month.  Being told the stock from AG composites
is the hold up.  Starting to have doubts.
Wayne

jvw2008

Been through a similar experience with a different builder. Seems like when they get popular they become less attentive to maintaining all the standards of their original reputation.

DHuffman

These are the "pains" of handmade custom versus "in stock"

Anyone who can't wait out the custom should buy off the shelf. I'll be the first to admit it's not easy to sit back, do nothing and wait for the call.

If I were to build a custom (semi) hunting gun I'd be very tempted to buy a Remington, Bat or BigHorn action set up for the Remage barrels then buy a stock, barrel & trigger and be the master of my destiny instead of the waiter. LOL ????
Dave

jvw2008

"Anyone who can't wait out the custom should buy off the shelf. I'll be the first to admit it's not easy to sit back, do nothing and wait for the call."

I think a lot of buyers do have the patience to wait for that custom, high quality build they have ordered. And many of them can deal with the occasional short term time setbacks that frequently occur. I lose my patience when it becomes one large delay after another that starts rolling into months past an agreed date of completion. Some of the larger builders take orders, promise the moon, and then pull out the "can't get the part" card when they fall behind.
I'm sure I sound jaded but I'm not saying this is the norm. I do think that a builders reputation should be based on the quality of their work and their customer service which includes good communication when there is a problem.

Ranger 188

I'm with you guy's.  Hard to wait for a new toy.
That's why most of my rifles are Legos, have an action and chassis
then all I need is a barrel and a chamber job, can switch out calibers
pretty easy.
Plus all the hard to find stuff, primers, bullets and powder. lol
I do have a custom being built right now, but most stuff I bought
and the rest is coming in soon.
PLAN AHEAD
I know that's hard to do.  You don't know what you want now,
for next year.

autoxforfun

This year seems especially hard.  Getting any kind of predictability and reliability of schedules has been difficult.  I placed all of the orders for the Dasher build at the beginning of January.   It has been roughly 6 months and most of the suppliers have been open and honest with their delays.   All but one part in now in my hands.  Since I had other things to keep me busy, I really haven't minded the time it has taken.....actually spreads out the wallet pain over several months.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

thatmarine

So im not trying to talk anyone out of an Alamo rifle, but my gunsmith, Brian Allen of A-Team Precision, produces some of the best rifles in the PRS and i think his wait is 4-6 weeks. He has impact actions in stock most of the time, but can order whatever action you want. I have built 2 rifles through him in the past 8 months and 3 rifles in the past 18 months. I can push ya'll information if anyone is interested.

The pic is a load dev at 100 yards on my rifle. Those dots are 1/4 dots with 5 round groups.