$1 Billion in ammo sales backordered

Started by Downeast, December 08, 2020, 08:21:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downeast

IMPORTANT: These comments may contain information that is erroneous, false, or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor, or irrational religious beliefs. Any opinions expressed are my own and generally unpopular with others.

bikemutt

Time to get serious about inventorying my modest holdings. I figure if Vista is even half-right, a built-ammo backlog is also a component backlog.

Remember the .22lr shortage of yesteryear? Right in the middle of that mess, we ran into a friend of ours while out and about, she'd finalized her divorce and had a trunkful of her ex's ammo for sale. I don't recall seeing that much .22lr in one place at one time. Anyway, upon learning the ex was stupid enough to earn a permanent firearms disability for DV, I didn't feel the least bit guilty about buying the lot. Time to dig into that stash and conserve the heavy stuff.
Chris

autoxforfun

Quote from: bikemutt on December 08, 2020, 09:09:23 AMTime to get serious about inventorying my modest holdings. I figure if Vista is even half-right, a built-ammo backlog is also a component backlog.

Remember the .22lr shortage of yesteryear? Right in the middle of that mess, we ran into a friend of ours while out and about, she'd finalized her divorce and had a trunkful of her ex's ammo for sale. I don't recall seeing that much .22lr in one place at one time. Anyway, upon learning the ex was stupid enough to earn a permanent firearms disability for DV, I didn't feel the least bit guilty about buying the lot. Time to dig into that stash and conserve the heavy stuff.

I hear you Chris.  It may be time to start building a rationing plan for our shooting.....see how long I can last.  I'm shooting ~300 rounds a month.....I can get thru mid 2021 but then it gets a bit thin.  I too have 22lr that I can start shooting.....I've wanted to spend more time with the Anschutz anyway.  I have a barrel tuner that I need to work with.

I also have some upgrades for the Healey to do before next season and I have a vacuum tube amp that I'm building that I can finish.  So I can find other tasks if needed.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

bikemutt

I took inventory and figure I'm good for 3+ years with H4350 assuming I shoot 6.5 CM all the time.

BR-2 primers look good for 2+ years at my volume assuming I shoot all LRPs, I can stretch that to 3+ if I shoot some SRP in the mix (.223, 6.5 Grendel etc).

Varget is where I'm real light, maybe I'll start looking around for that.

God help us all if this goes on for 3 years :(
Chris

MJeff23

I'm good on H4350, N140 and H4895 to get thru 2021.  For PRS (6 BRA), I only have enough 450's to get thru 2021 season.  I have enough LRPs for 6.5CM, 7-08 and 308 into 2022.  For 9mm, I'm screwed.  I'm asking myself, do I go full-bore on 2021 PRS, or do I ration to get some 2022 matches?

If this lasts 3 years, it might get ugly....
Jeff
First impressions are forever.....you don't get a second chance

DHuffman

@Mjeff23

Curious what your 6BRA load is that runs 450s, that's a lot of primer IMHO for the BRA. I've always shot smaller with milder primers.
Dave

LeadHammer

I have most of what I need, however I do not compete, so my ammo last longer. I would like more Berger's 6.5's and a bit more H4350. My 9mm is stocked very well. Have to start shooting  that more. 357 mag is not very well stocked. Hmmm

Windsage

Quote from: HufD63 on December 10, 2020, 07:42:51 PM@Mjeff23

Curious what your 6BRA load is that runs 450s, that's a lot of primer IMHO for the BRA. I've always shot smaller with milder primers.

I use the 450's in my 22 Grendel when I can't find Rem 7 1/2.  They give me almost exactly the same velocities.  I have run them side by side for testing and was surprised when I found the similarity.

Lately I have been conserving primers as I was down to about 300.  To that end I am putting together a .25 air rifle.  I figure 100-125 yds will keep me engaged til more primers arrive again.

DHuffman

Quote from: Windsage on December 11, 2020, 12:59:19 AMI use the 450's in my 22 Grendel when I can't find Rem 7 1/2.  They give me almost exactly the same velocities.  I have run them side by side for testing and was surprised when I found the similarity.

Lately I have been conserving primers as I was down to about 300.  To that end I am putting together a .25 air rifle.  I figure 100-125 yds will keep me engaged til more primers arrive again.

I could have phrased that better and of course 450s will work fine in any SP application. I have found better accuracy over several barrels with the milder primers in a 28" bench gun application.
Dave

MJeff23

Quote from: HufD63 on December 10, 2020, 07:42:51 PM@Mjeff23

I'm currently developing a load with H4895 -- on the replacement barrel where previously smacking my MPA chassis.  I've run a ladder from 31.5 (2860 fps) to 32.3 gr (2965 fps).  31.5, 31.9 (2900s) and 32.1 (2930s) look promising.

Will probably try a round with N140 this weekend--maybe follow your lead and try 400's with the N140. 
Jeff

DHuffman

Quote from: MJeff23 on December 11, 2020, 09:26:53 AMI'm currently developing a load with H4895 -- on the replacement barrel where previously smacking my MPA chassis.  I've run a ladder from 31.5 (2860 fps) to 32.3 gr (2965 fps).  31.5, 31.9 (2900s) and 32.1 (2930s) look promising.

Will probably try a round with N140 this weekend--maybe follow your lead and try 400's with the N140.

Might be worth testing. In several barrels the 400s have always shot smaller for me.

I'm testing BR4s against the 450s in my 6.5x47L imp. because those groups seem a little erratic and will probably try the 400s if it doesn't improve.

Up here I think the 450 in a bigger cartridge like the 47L or Creed would get better/more reliable ignition below zero but I doubt the BR variants cases would ever need it.
Dave

MJeff23

@HufD63 thanks for the insight.  I do have a little irregularity (or not exactly meeting my expectations) with the 450's and the H4895 now.  Unfortunately, I have more of the 450's on my shelf than 400's.  I may need to see if I can find someone to trade LRPs for SRPs....

In my 6.5x47L, the 450's do shoot small, and, they shot small in my 6Dasher. Never tried 400's in the Dasher & now I'm interested.....BTW, the 6.5x47L is my favorite of all my rifles and reloading endeavors.

Jeff
Jeff

gman47564

The 400's have a pretty soft cup so if your close on max pressyre you may pierce primers.. i ran into that with my 6br.. switched to br4 primers and no more problems..
Grant

DHuffman

Grant is correct on the cup. Hasn't been an issue for me on the Borden or Panda.

The Remington I'm tuning pierced primers on the high end as a 6x47L but was bushed and the pin profiled by Gre-Tan years ago so it's not an issue in it anymore either.
Dave