News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

Further Evidence of Cabin Fever

Started by autoxforfun, July 23, 2020, 08:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jvw2008

Quote from: Ranger 188 on July 24, 2020, 10:15:21 AM2nd guessing me now?  :o
Fact, in my eyes. Owned a GE for a couple years.

????  I second guess everything I read on any forum from any source!  In this case, I could have reworded my question to : is there something better in the glass prep between one scope versus the other. I was too lazy to research it myself at the time and thought you might already have the info.

autoxforfun

Quote from: Ranger 188 on July 23, 2020, 11:50:57 PMHere you go, Trijicon used but a little cheaper than new.
Great scope own 2. little better glass than the GE.
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/trijicon-5-50.4011769/

Thanks Ranger for the pointer.  I will go check into it.  I have fellow shooters with Trijicon but they use them for 3-gun competition and think highly of them.....but a different game entirely.  

By far my favorite scope is the March High Master with a max x60 magnification.  So from that perspective, it is on par with the GE but that is where the comparison stops.  It is one of the clearest scopes I've looked thru...a joy to use.  But you pay 2x the price of the GE.  The GE is a great value....no doubt.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Ranger 188

Scopes are very opinionated.  You could have 10 people look thru a scope
and get 10 different answers on what they thought was good or bad.
That's why most of us have had many scopes by multiple manufactures.

Bob my 5-50 is a second focal plane scope. Trijicon makes many types.
The March High Masters are one of the best and my next one will be one of those.
Jerry runs a March 10-60, not the High Master.  He seems to do OK with it.
(wins match's)
Dave does pretty good with his GE's (wins match's)

autoxforfun

Thanks guys for the inputs and discussion.  I have a bit of time to do some homework before needing to make the final decision.  :o
Bob

gman47564

If you get a chance i still recomend you look through a pst gen 2 with that ebr7c reticle.. i also have a ge and a razor.. IN MY EYES i cant tell the difference in the glass between them.. and that reticle is sweet..
Grant

autoxforfun

My current thinking is to move a Nightforce 15-55 Competition scope off of the Heavy Benchrest rifle to the new Savage.  This is a great scope and should be more than adequate.  Then replace it with a March 40-60 High Master.  These limited magnification scopes are less $ and I think would be a good fit for the Benchrest competition shooting that this rifle does (600/1000 yards).  Starting to search for best pricing but I'm thinking that I'll go that way.

Both the Vortex and the Trijicon looked to be good options and will definitely keep them in mind for the future.
Bob

autoxforfun

Sportsman Warehouse received the Savage Elite Precision so I went in yesterday to start the 10 day CA waiting period.  The amount of paperwork to fill out is incredible.  But on my way to the counter, I walked past the reloading supplies.  The shelves were pretty bare of powder, bullets, brass, primers etc.  But I was looking for some CCI BR-2 primers so I thought I would at least check.  There sitting on the mostly empty selves were 4 1000 piece boxes of BR-2 on sale for $44.xx.  I was tempted to take them all but I showed restraint and only took what I thought I would need...so I picked up 2 boxes and left two on the shelf.

It is scary strange how almost anything 'gun' related has been picked clean.
Bob

DHuffman

Primers are beyond scarce and the few on GB are asking a fortune. No H4895 on GB either.

I can't imagine it's getting any better until after the election and if that goes the wrong way it will likely be worse than we've ever seen.
Dave

autoxforfun

The Savage Elite Precision arrived and is ready to go.  I wasn't sure if this was a small or a large shank action.  It turns out to be a large shank which is preferred.  It also turns out that I have a large shank Criterion 6mm CM barrel in the safe.  I may pull the factory barrel and put the Criterion on and use that from the start.  I'll have the factory barrel in case I decide to sell it, it will have never been shot.

What is nice about this chassis is that it an MDT chassis and all of their accessories work....so I have their bag rider and I added some additional weight in the rear and in the forearm.
Bob

Ranger 188

Nice.  Someone put a NF on it already.

jvw2008

gman47564

nice looking rifle bob... is this your first 6mm creedmoor ?
Grant

autoxforfun

Quote from: Ranger 188 on August 24, 2020, 07:17:31 PMNice.  Someone put a NF on it already.

After thinking about it, I decided to put a March High Master 40-60x on the benchrest rifle and move the NF competition to this one.   I think this will work out well for both guns.
Bob

autoxforfun

Quote from: gman47564 on August 24, 2020, 07:28:04 PMnice looking rifle bob... is this your first 6mm creedmoor ?

This is my 2nd 6mm CM.  The first one was based on a Bighorn TL3 action which is a Rem700 clone that uses Savage small shank barrels. (NSS carries them....so I got it from James early last year).  I don't have a completed picture but what I attached is what it looks like without the scope.  This is what I shot on Sunday for the light gun competition.  I'll need to get a finished shot and I'll post it.  This action is my favorite action and it is really a joy to shoot.
Bob

gman47564

i was thinking you had one already.... they are a nice round to shoot.... when my shilen barrel goes south on mine it will for sure get replaced with another one....
Grant