News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Carbon Ring

Started by jvw2008, June 26, 2020, 08:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnbogboy

After years of cleaning without a bore cam,  my eyes have been opened to what I thought was clean was really not.
A couple of E.R. Shaw barrel kits I bought many years back came with tubes of bore cleaning paste.  I used it per their instructions. Wiped it out and proceeded as usual.  These barrels were probably the only ones I ever got clean before the borescope. 
After reading a post on here about JB bore paste a week or so ago I dug the last of one of those tubes of "Uncle Eds bore paste".  The barrel in question had the hard black carbon in the grooves in the first 4 inches or so ahead of the throat (explained in the link in @jvw2008 's post).  150 strokes, almost gone except for some streaking.
Well that name brand paste can't be found in any search but my guess it is JB.   A brand new jar just came yesterday and I have a bunch of "clean" barrels that are going to get another scrubbin'.
Btw; the barrel I cleaned shot better than my usual so  this old dog may just have learned a new trick! ????
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

gman47564

After using it in the green hornet im a believer..
Grant

gman47564

Good artical jerry.. thanks for sharing it
Grant

boltman13

My gunsmith put me on to Flitz, which is a mild abrasive in a green liquid that works like JB's or other abrasive cleaners.  A nylon brush wrapped with a patch and saturated, with a tight fit, will work up a sweat but after 1 or 2 patches you will have a carbon free barrel.  I try to prevent carbon build up with BoreTec Carbon Remover but after a 60 shot plus sighters match there may be some baked on carbon.  I try to check for it with my Lyman Bore Cam after the BorTec but sometimes I forget.  Flitz is not easy to find, but worth the search in my opinion.  I have heard there is a liquid form of other abrasive cleaners but i have never seen it.