News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

204 ruger project

Started by gman47564, March 05, 2020, 07:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jvw2008

He is also big into the 20 VarTag.  Looks like a mini BR.  Something else to look at and uses 223 Rem cases to start.

It's a laser

Denver Steve

I think your plan of running the 35 grain Berger's on top of H322 is going to work out for you. H322 isn't quite the fastest powder for running that bullet, but it is definitely the most accurate.

That is my go to load for my cz527 in 204 ruger, I also run H4895 with the 40 grain Berger's in my rifle.

autoxforfun

I run H335 in mine with the 32g bullets.....works really well.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Denver Steve

I have some h335, but haven't tried it in it. I picked up a bunch of cfe223 because my 223's really like it. So I may try it in my 204.

I did just get 3-250/box of Barnes 26 grain bullets for damn near free, so I might try some with them. And also recently just bought a bunch of small rifle primers as well so I am set for my small rifles for awhile.

Nice seeing some primers finally showing up in Canada. Powder has been trickling in, still at outrageous prices most places though.

gman47564

Got daves action today.. came with a .473 bolt head.. since using it for the 204 I changed the bolt head and baffle to a .378 bolt head.. while I was at it I went ahead and put a new firing pin and spring in it.. also did a little trigger work on it to get the trigger how I like them.. cleaned everything all up and prepped it to bed the recoil lug and got it bedded in the old stealth chassis.. tommorow I should be able to get the barrel on and the gun finished up.. think it's going to turn out good..

On a side note I need to clean my work area.. lol
Grant

jvw2008

Don't do that - you won't be able to find a damn thing!

gman47564

Grant

DHuffman

Quote from: gman47564 on April 26, 2023, 06:17:46 PMGot daves action today.. came with a .473 bolt head.. since using it for the 204 I changed the bolt head and baffle to a .378 bolt head.. while I was at it I went ahead and put a new firing pin and spring in it.. also did a little trigger work on it to get the trigger how I like them.. cleaned everything all up and prepped it to bed the recoil lug and got it bedded in the old stealth chassis.. tommorow I should be able to get the barrel on and the gun finished up.. think it's going to turn out good..

So that's obviously a cut off barrel you use for bedding? Good idea.
Dave

Denver Steve

I think you will be little short of 4000fps in the 204 with that short of a barrel... :o

gman47564

Quote from: HufD63 on April 26, 2023, 07:01:50 PMSo that's obviously a cut off barrel you use for bedding? Good idea.

Yep.. don't know if it makes a difference or not but I don't want the full weight of the barrel hanging off the end of the action when I bed them..
Grant

DHuffman

I've always used a full barrel and wrapped masking tape around the barrel where it sits in the tip of the fore end. Keep wrapping it around until the barreled action is sitting the way you want it so the action is resting evenly in the stock.
Dave

autoxforfun

Quote from: HufD63 on April 26, 2023, 07:39:17 PMI've always used a full barrel and wrapped masking tape around the barrel where it sits in the tip of the fore end. Keep wrapping it around until the barreled action is sitting the way you want it so the action is resting evenly in the stock.
I use 2" wide black tape to wrap the barrel but the objective is the same.  But I was thinking of cutting off an old Savage barrel and using something shorter just for the bedding purpose.  Probably make it end at the end of the forearm and would still use the tape to get it to set right and have the floating barrel clearance.  

Looks good Grant.  I find keeping my shop clean almost impossible....sigh.

You said you changed the bolt head and the baffle.  Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the baffle you're referring to?
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

gman47564

What I call the baffle is the part that rotates that goes against the bolt head.
Grant

gman47564

Theirs probably a half inch clearance between the barrel and forearm on these chassis  so that would take alot of tape.. with the stub I feel like that is taking all the stress off the action with it just setting there snugged down with the action screws.. I also tape the bottom and sides of the lug along with the front of it.. not sure if that's the right way or not it's just how I have always done them and it seems to work good for me.. I can see doing it the way you guys do it as well if I was running wood stocks with minimal clearance..
Grant

DHuffman

Also serves as a bolt stop so Grant put a baffle with the "hind leg" on it to shorten the bolt travel to the stop for the shorter cartridge.
Dave