News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

6.5 Stabal test

Started by DHuffman, January 01, 2020, 06:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHuffman

You didn't offend me Grant and there is no harm in questioning our own or each other's methods. I know you meant nothing by it but I'm serious about you doing the 600 yard "experiment" you will fare better than you think but more importantly it will open your eyes to how critical seating and powder tuned to one another become at distance.
Dave

jvw2008

@bob_atl
Thanks!  That was a great over view/comparison. You peaked my interest and now I'm gonna have to go look. ????

autoxforfun

I was planning on heading out to the 300 yard range this morning to follow Dave's ladder process.  I'm working up a load for the 153g A-Tip in the 6.5CM and figured it would a good time to try it.   Got up this morning to some wind.....steady 15 mph with gusts over 25 mph.  Decided that I would save the rounds for another day.  It could have been good wind practice day but I wasn't comfortable trying to validate a load in those conditions.  So I stayed home and spent the afternoon preparing brass.  Got about 350 cases cleaned and ready to prime/load.

Thanks @bob_atl for the pointer to Gordon's software.  I try to not use MS Windows very much so I was very pleased to see that it ran on linux....sweet.  I took a load that I had from QL and compared to Gordon's....the results were very close.

I am trying something new as a neck lube prior to seating the bullet.  I've been using the Hornady case lube successfully but thought I would add a little graphite to the mix.  I have a spray can of Graphite that I mixed with Hornady case lube in a plastic cap.  I then use a Q-tip to apply the mixture.  Haven't set any bullets yet......
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

DHuffman

Quote from: autoxforfun on February 09, 2020, 06:53:59 PMI was planning on heading out to the 300 yard range this morning to follow Dave's ladder process.  I'm working up a load for the 153g A-Tip in the 6.5CM and figured it would a good time to try it.   Got up this morning to some wind.....steady 15 mph with gusts over 25 mph.  Decided that I would save the rounds for another day.  It could have been good wind practice day but I wasn't comfortable trying to validate a load in those conditions.  So I stayed home and spent the afternoon preparing brass.  Got about 350 cases cleaned and ready to prime/load.

Thanks @bob_atl for the pointer to Gordon's software.  I try to not use MS Windows very much so I was very pleased to see that it ran on linux....sweet.  I took a load that I had from QL and compared to Gordon's....the results were very close.

I am trying something new as a neck lube prior to seating the bullet.  I've been using the Hornady case lube successfully but thought I would add a little graphite to the mix.  I have a spray can of Graphite that I mixed with Hornady case lube in a plastic cap.  I then use a Q-tip to apply the mixture.  Haven't set any bullets yet......

Bob I'm curious if you are still using this neck lube mix and what proportions are you mixing it?
Dave

autoxforfun

Dave,  I've used this now on a couple of my recent loads and have been pleased with how smooth the seating pressure is.  I have not shot any over a chrono to verify the MV and ES/SD impact.  My process is pretty simple.  I take a spray can plastic top (always good for mixing stuff in) and spray a shot of 'one-shot', enough to get a puddle big enough to cover the 50 rounds I'm planning on loading.  I have a spray can of graphite lubricant.  I give that a shot on top of the 'one-shot' and then use the q-tip to stir.  I would say I am using roughly equal shot of both.  Not very precise method but not sure it matters.  

Another option may be to use the 'one-shot' and then mix in the powder graphite.  This would allow a more controlled mixing.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough