News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

We saw Kyra last in Turkey season!

Started by mnbogboy, October 06, 2019, 07:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnbogboy

I gave Kyra a hug and left her home in WI at 2:00 pm. She and my son were off to the best hunt.
I got home at 4:00, wife and I went out to dinner got home to this picture....
Haven't heard the full story yet...the rifle is a 243 on a LA sav (pre-66) I put together for her.  Single shot...30 yard shot....bled like a stuck hog and only went a few yards.
If I hear more I will post it....grandpa is stoked!
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

DHuffman

Very nice! Can't wait to read the story.
Dave

jvw2008

mnbogboy

This weekend was also the youth deer hunt in Wisconsin.  I went Friday afternoon and stayed at my son's place in my camper.  Saturday morning woke up to the monsoons.  The whole day was pretty much a washout.  Got soaked but Kyra didn't see deer but did hunt with her coveted bear tag Sat. evening with her dad (Jim). No bear saturday.  This morning Kyra chose to pass on some does & fawns which she had tags for but saw no bucks.
This afternoon she had a choice to deer hunt or bear hunt.  The youth deer hunt was just this weekend, but her month long bear season tag took several years of applying.  This also would be her last chance at a bear for many years.  She has only saw one bear so far ( mid September) but passed said it was too "small".  Her competition with her two brothers has been ongoing; fishing, sports and in recent years hunting.
She chose wisely!
They made it to the blind, placed the wholecorn  bait (legal in WI) climbed in & proceeded to wait.
Long story short, they were there only about a half an hour when this guy comes sneaking in.  Kyra saw it first and shook Jim....it walked right on by the blind at 10 or 15 yards and gone....Jim  figured it would smell them and it was all over.....Kyra whispered; "Dad, he's coming back".... Jim told her to get ready and take it if it offers her a shot with the front leg forward....BOOM....he said he didn't even have time to cover his ears (been there)....the bear jumped straight up in the air....blood spraying everwhere...heart shot....ran ten yards flipped over and died....Jim said the 100 grain Speer soft point blew up the heart and passed through..
They sat in the blind for a few minutes and the bear never quivered. When I talked to  Kyra tonight she said; "Grandpa I got all teary eyed and cried a little with joy."......i told her she had just done the same to me!
Hunting with the kids & grandkids has really been the high point of my almost 60 years of walking the woods & fields.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

mnbogboy

Jim also pointed out how both ears of the old warrior are shredded from fighting over the years.  Big paws and head but he said definitely not the biggest boar in the woods...guessed at only about 200 lbs.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

hotshotr2

This is the best part of hunting- watching and being with the kids growing up and spending time in the outdoors!! I"m so proud of you for being part of your grand kids life..

Congratulations to KYRA!!!  :D
Marvin

DHuffman

Great story, she made some great choices!
Dave

gman47564

Good story.. a life long memory for you both..
Grant

Fuj

Put a smile on my face !!  ;)

Get a rug made.....