Severe cratering in Lapua sp brass, Savage 10ba stealth

Started by greasegun, October 05, 2019, 10:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greasegun

1st batch of 6.5 creedmoor hand loads was a bit of a flop.  Lapua sp brass, rem 7 1/2 primer, 143eldx, h4350.  Savage 10ba stealth. Started seeing cratering at the starting load.  Stopped at 41.6 when they looked like the pic.  Didn't peirce any luckily. 

I had been shooting berger ammunition and saving the lapua brass for my eventual hand loading.   Never had a cratering problem with the berger loaded ammo in this brass, but with my reloads its bad even at low pressures.   Berger would not tell me what primer they used in their ammo when I emailed, but they did point me towards gretan for bolt bushing.  Ill do that if it comes down to it, but trying some CCI41 primers first.   

Anyone ever have any luck using this savage 10ba stealth rifle and small primer brass?   If so what primer did you use?

Idahome

What was your starting load? Looks like over pressure signs to me. Hard to tell from the pic but looks to be some ejector swipe on that brass. How was the bolt lift?

DHuffman

Try some CCI 450s, harder cup will hold up better.

Gre-tan does outstanding work or contact Grimstod on www.accurateshooter.com either will do outstanding work reasonably priced in a timely fashion.

From the looks of the picture you definitely need your bolt bushed but try the 450s first if you want.
Dave

greasegun

Quote from: Idahome on October 05, 2019, 10:19:11 PMWhat was your starting load? Looks like over pressure signs to me. Hard to tell from the pic but looks to be some ejector swipe on that brass. How was the bolt lift?

38.5 starting load.  Bolt lift was normal at 41.6.  No ejector stamping.   I assume your talking about that shiny area but that is near the center, not where the ejector is located.  I notice that with factory loaded berger ammo as well.  Not sure why.

greasegun

Quote from: HufD63 on October 05, 2019, 10:25:01 PMTry some CCI 450s, harder cup will hold up better.

Gre-tan does outstanding work or contact Grimstod on www.accurateshooter.com either will do outstanding work reasonably priced in a timely fashion.

From the looks of the picture you definitely need your bolt bushed but try the 450s first if you want.

Thanks.

I hoping if I can find whatever primer berger was using in their factory loaded ammo I'm good to go, as I didnt have trouble with it.   

DHuffman

Quote from: greasegun on October 05, 2019, 10:44:34 PMThanks.

I hoping if I can find whatever primer berger was using in their factory loaded ammo I'm good to go, as I didnt have trouble with it.

From the looks of the picture i would get it bushed sooner than later. If it starts blanking primers you may damage your bolt face.
Dave

gman47564

I would try cci 400 ... never really seen a savage bolt that had to be bushed.. doesnt mean there not some out there though.. the primers your using are soft..
Grant

DHuffman

Quote from: gman47564 on October 06, 2019, 05:49:38 AMI would try cci 400 ... never really seen a savage bolt that had to be bushed.. doesnt mean there not some out there though.. the primers your using are soft..

I've never seen a Savage bolt need bushed before either but I've seen several Remingtons that left primers looking just like the picture above.

A 400 primer is softer than a br4 or 450
Dave

Fuj

I do not see a pressure problem. That primer is  still rounded
as it came from the pack. I personally would not try another
primer until that bolt is bushed or checked for proper firing
pin size.

gman47564

Betting that problem goes away with a primer change.. a 3 dollar pack of primers is alot cheaper than getting a bolt bushed.. if it does it with a different brand of primer your out 3 dollars.. ????
Grant

greasegun

Quote from: gman47564 on October 06, 2019, 07:27:47 AMBetting that problem goes away with a primer change.. a 3 dollar pack of primers is alot cheaper than getting a bolt bushed.. if it does it with a different brand of primer your out 3 dollars.. ????

Thats what Im hoping.  Im open to getting the bushing job if needed just gonna try the cheap route first. 

eas1949

Check firing pin protrusion.  Set at 45-50 thousandths.  Firing pin may be too small diameter or hole too big in bolt head.  

Eric
NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

hotshotr2

Greasegun: Have you reached out to Savage- I"m thinking something isn't right with the firing pin! Might be a factory defect or where something wasn't manufactured right??
Marvin

mnbogboy

Quote from: HufD63 on October 06, 2019, 06:32:14 AMI've never seen a Savage bolt need bushed before either but I've seen several Remingtons that left primers looking just like the picture above.

A 400 primer is softer than a br4 or 450
In a 223 I had bad cratering with 7-1/2 rems.  Went away completely with cci450s and 400s.  The Remington primers seem waay softer. 
Also check the protrusion should be .035 - .055. I try to set mine close to .045.  There is about. 007 per tab on the adjustment washer (little goes a long way)!

11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

greasegun

Just got home from range.  Fired 8 groups from 39-41.9gr of H4350 143 eld-x, CCI 41 primer.  Little to no cratering!  No pressure signs even at 41.9, which came in at 2803fps avg.   

To the guys who mentioned checking firing pin protrusion, thanks I had not thought of that.  I will go ahead and check it to be safe even though the primer looks ok now.   Glad I posted, seems to be a wealth of knowledge here. 

Pic shows fired brass, 39gr on the left to 41.9 on the right