News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

Looking to buy a 6.5 Creedmoor

Started by Eric2727, October 05, 2019, 05:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric2727

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to buy a 6.5 Creedmoor for hunting wolves in the winter and wondering what gun would suit my needs best.  Currently looking at a tikka t3x lite and some of the middle range Browning x-bolts. Prefer to keep price under $1700 CAN.  Synthetic stock and cheek piece is also a plus.  Looking for an accurate gun above anything else for 300-450 yard shooting. Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

gman47564

Welcome to the forum eric.. I hunt with a tikka t3x lite.. good gun and shoots great..
Grant

mobenzowner

got a 6.5 hells canyon speed I really like.  That would be my direction.

DHuffman

If you're interested in a chassis rifle check out badrockrifles.com

That is A LOT of rifle for the money!
Dave

gman47564

think hes looking for a hunting rifle dave...
Grant

Longhair

You could always get a Howa 1500 with a 22" barrel and Hogue stock that only weighs 7lbs (½lb heavier than the Tikka) for a reasonable price. That would give you a great shooter and leave you with plenty of $ left for good glass.
Stay Out Of My Psychosis!

Eric2727

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll be sure to check all these out!

hotshotr2

I'd check out the "Bergara Ridge Rifle" they are flat out shooters right out of the box. $749.00 and that would leave money to spend on some good glass!!!
Marvin

gman47564

probably the best advice any of us could give you would be to go to the gun stores and shoulder several of them... run the bolts on them and try them on for size...   good luck in your search... let us know what you end up with...
Grant

The Marshall

The Bergara Ridge is a fine shootin rifle. I have one in 308 Win. For mountain hunting, I would seek a tough laminate or composite / Kevlar stock stock to withstand moisture and of course, warping. As for what can drop a wolf, I suppose a .24-.35 caliber bullet will do fine.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
Every man has got to know his limits.

CaptGrumpy

I bought this Bergara Timber in 6.5 CM and fell in love with it once I added the adjustable cheek rest. It shoots 1/2 MOA and having a proper fit never hurt anyones ability to shoot. farthest kill has been 250 yards.
Chris
Yup! That is a 6.5 in my saddle scabbard

eas1949

Eric,

You need a rifle that will work in extreme cold and function in all conditions.  The best for that is a Mauser 98.  The simple trigger, freight train firing pin, claw extractor,  control round feeding.

That said, if I were selecting a rifle for myself for the criteria you specified I would choose a Ruger Hawkeye 77 .  I may myself go with a heavier caliber.

Eric
NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

sportacus

Quote from: eas1949 on October 26, 2019, 02:15:00 PMEric,

You need a rifle that will work in extreme cold and function in all conditions.  The best for that is a Mauser 98.  The simple trigger, freight train firing pin, claw extractor,  control round feeding.

That said, if I were selecting a rifle for myself for the criteria you specified I would choose a Ruger Hawkeye 77 .  I may myself go with a heavier caliber.

Eric
Was hot for a Browning X Bolt in 6.5 PRC for wifey.  1/7 twist. Factory heavy ammo an issue. Not much out there but Copper Creek at $56 a box.  All engines stop.  We three went 6 for 6 in south Texas with 6.5 CM production guns tweaked by yours truly.  What was I thinking?  We will never hunt elk, moose, grizzlies or hippos. Will focus proceeds from my aluminum can collecting to VX-5 HD's by Leupold.  The elevation zero stop on the VX-5's is a deal breaker. Miss Creedmoor will continue to spank whitetails, feral hogs and coyotes within budget constraints.
If you have the shot, take it.