News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

Hornady A Tip Bullets?

Started by ALL THE WAY, April 28, 2019, 09:40:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptGrumpy

Those look extra killy like! Very nice Bob! Taking them out to Range 12? I'd like to know how they perform out there
Chris
Yup! That is a 6.5 in my saddle scabbard

autoxforfun

Once I get some rounds down the barrel and find the right load, yes, Range 12 is where it will spend a lot of time.  I too want to see how this combination(6mm CM + A-Tip) works at 600 and 1000 yards.  I will share results either way.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

autoxforfun

I took the opportunity on Friday morning to put some of the 135g and 153g A-Tips down the barrel.  I was expecting great things from the 135g and not as much for the 153g.  I use QL to get me close to node...which has been pretty reliable.  I don't shoot at the highest nodes so I'm pretty safe in bracketing what it suggests.  I input the numbers for both of the A-Tips and a loaded a spread of powder for each of about 1.0g.

Results: 

The 153g shot very well.  Within my load spread, there was a nice node that generated a 0.3" group and an MV of 2744.  I was very pleased with how the node came together.  So I've loaded another 50 that I'm going to use at a local 1000 yard match on Sunday Morning.  The specifics:  39.4g - RL-16, CBTO=2.200, Peterson LRP Brass, 0.020 off the lands, 30" 1:7.5 twist Criterion Barrel

The 135g didn't do so well.  They were all over the place and nothing was even heading to what I would call a group.  I was in the 2880+ fps for MV.  This seemed like an ok place to be with a 135g bullet.  But the target sure didn't agree.  So I need to go up or down from what I thought was a good starting point from QL.  So more work to be done with this one.
Bob

Michiman

Quote from: autoxforfun on July 27, 2019, 05:23:26 PMI took the opportunity on Friday morning to put some of the 135g and 153g A-Tips down the barrel.  I was expecting great things from the 135g and not as much for the 153g.  I use QL to get me close to node...which has been pretty reliable.  I don't shoot at the highest nodes so I'm pretty safe in bracketing what it suggests.  I input the numbers for both of the A-Tips and a loaded a spread of powder for each of about 1.0g.

Results:

The 153g shot very well.  Within my load spread, there was a nice node that generated a 0.3" group and an MV of 2744.  I was very pleased with how the node came together.  So I've loaded another 50 that I'm going to use at a local 1000 yard match on Sunday Morning.  The specifics:  39.4g - RL-16, CBTO=2.200, Peterson LRP Brass, 0.020 off the lands, 30" 1:7.5 twist Criterion Barrel

The 135g didn't do so well.  They were all over the place and nothing was even heading to what I would call a group.  I was in the 2880+ fps for MV.  This seemed like an ok place to be with a 135g bullet.  But the target sure didn't agree.  So I need to go up or down from what I thought was a good starting point from QL.  So more work to be done with this one.

Prc or Creedmoor?

autoxforfun

Creedmoor.....the biggest I have  :)
Bob

gman47564

bob did you shoot any of them out to a thousand in your testing?   I wish I could get my hands on some... I've had them backordered at midway since I heard about them but havnt been able to find any... good luck in your match tomorrow...
Grant

Michiman

Quote from: autoxforfun on July 27, 2019, 07:03:26 PMCreedmoor.....the biggest I have  :)

Hmmm I wonder how they will perform out of mine. 26" barrel and 8" twist.

jvw2008

"So I need to go up or down from what I thought was a good starting point from QL.  So more work to be done with this one."

Think I would look on the down side first. ????

autoxforfun

Quote from: gman47564 on July 27, 2019, 07:18:14 PMbob did you shoot any of them out to a thousand in your testing?  I wish I could get my hands on some... I've had them backordered at midway since I heard about them but havnt been able to find any... good luck in your match tomorrow...

Grant, I didn't have access to more than 100 yards when I was doing the load development.  SO the match will be my first experience with them at distance.

I participated in a fun 1000 yard NBRSA match today.  The conditions, though mild, were challenging.  The temperature was quickly climbing to 104 degF so the mirage was with us the whole time.  Then the winds, which were in the 4-6 mph range, were moving around a lot....one shot it was from 9 o'clock and then the next shot it had changed to 2 o'clock.  The flags were confusing with some going in conflicting directions.  I am still learning the wind reading skill, so this was definitely a challenge.  By the end,  I started just using the mirage to judge what the wind was doing.  My best group was around 9".  The best group shot in the match was just over 4".  I ended up 4th out off 11 shooters and I took third for the total heavy gun score.

As for the 153g A-Tips, I really can't say much.  I shot the 147g ELD-M for the light gun which I have a lot of confidence in.  I did poorly with them and did better with the 153g given the conditions.  So I'll need to load some more and shoot them as 300 yards and see how they group compared to the 147g.  Now I just need to find some more.....I've shot the first 100 already.
Bob

autoxforfun

Quote from: jvw2008 on July 28, 2019, 08:58:33 AM"So I need to go up or down from what I thought was a good starting point from QL.  So more work to be done with this one."

Think I would look on the down side first. ????

Agreed.....I was planning on going lower first.  I tend to stay away from the high nodes.
Bob

gman47564

Well done bob.. i mean you come up a little short but well done just the same.. ????

Now if you run across them 153's again holler at me.. I want shum too.. lol..
Grant

autoxforfun

Thanks Grant.  Absolutely.....I'll let you know if I find any.
Bob