News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

Reloading press

Started by Atlas, June 05, 2019, 06:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlas

Gents, its time to get a new press.  Wht do you guys think about the forster co ax press?
Pros, cons, and does it really keep concentricity to a min

jvw2008

Everything as advertised.

bikemutt

Forster CoAx is the "bomb"as the kids say today. I prefer to not use it for priming, find it a bit slow. One more thing; better to opt for the aluminum die lock-rings rather then steel so as not to wear on the press. There are also neat accessories to add LED lighting to the press, shorter handles and that sort of thing. Highest recommendation.
Chris

Atlas

does the press actual produce better concentricity than other presses?  my old RCBS used to produce great ammo, but of late it started to produce significant runout.  I've had the press almost 20 years and have taken care of it but the ram is now loose at full throw.

gman47564

Does your old press give you excessive run out on everything you load or is it just one caliber.. you sure it's your press and not a die issue or shell holder issue? I've heard others say their press loaded straighter rounds with press that had some play in them.. as far as the coax goes if you have run out issues with it it won't be the presses fault..
Grant

bikemutt

Quote from: Atlas on June 06, 2019, 08:16:43 PMdoes the press actual produce better concentricity than other presses?  my old RCBS used to produce great ammo, but of late it started to produce significant runout.  I've had the press almost 20 years and have taken care of it but the ram is now loose at full throw.

Dies are free to float (within reason) in a CoAx press. Any seating die that wants to produce a concentric round is free to do so when installed in a CoAx press. Even the shell holder floats a bit.
Chris

Cerwinski

One of those will be mine someday.  Only negative that I have read about them is that some seater dies with tall micrometer stems MAY have a clearance issue with the handle.  Otherwise if you can find one in stock, go for it.

Fuj

I would not, and have not considered the co-ax due to its
high handle design. I just like my presses to have a good
horizontal reach with both hands, and cut down on as much
body movement as possible. But I guess there are still those
that like "Ape Hangers" on a Harley. It's got other issues I
would not have in a press, but it may not be your issues, so
I'll leave that area be.....

gman47564

What other issues does it have fuj? I'm all ears..
Grant

Fuj

Quote from: gman47564 on June 07, 2019, 11:10:46 AMWhat other issues does it have fuj? I'm all ears..

I like to take the simpler approach to machine mechanisms.
The amount of parts it takes to assemble the press, and leading
to it's cost, makes me pass. If it helps to speed thing up, then
I could see it as maybe a plus to some. I'm more then happy with
my RCBS JR's and Rock Chuckers I've accrued over the years. 4 of
them cost less then one Co-Ax, and will make ammo that shoots
with the best of them.....Not knocking the Co-Ax, just saying it's
not on my list.

eas1949

Quote from: gman47564 on June 07, 2019, 11:10:46 AMWhat other issues does it have fuj? I'm all ears..
Try using your Co-Ax with an RCBS bullet puller die!

I've had a few of presses over the years.  ( Dillon 1050, 650, RCBS Big Max, Rock Chucker, piggy back, Green Machine, Summit, Redding Boss, T7, Hornady L&L progressive, and a Lee Cast Iron.

If I  had to select only one press it would be the Rock Chucker.  (Mine is 44 years old).   It makes a mess with the primers but aftermarket catchers are available.

Eric
NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

bikemutt

Quote from: Fuj on June 07, 2019, 09:53:56 AMBut I guess there are still those
that like "Ape Hangers" on a Harley.

I resemble that remark, lol.

Seriously though, I use a shorty handle on mine, very short.
Chris

gman47564

To each their own. I'm not trying to sell the coax..it sells itself for those that use one.. I use 3 presses.  One cheap lee press set up with a decapping die. Another lee 4 hole turret press that I use to seat primers and have a bullet puller set up in even though I wouldn't be a bit afraid of pulling bullets with the coax.. I got a t7 under the bench collecting dust and another single stage lee under there collecting dust with it.  All these presses will load good ammo.. just not with the same ease as the coax does.. to the OP get the coax.. you won't be disappointed..
Grant

eas1949

NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

jvw2008

Eric what is TIR in the chart?
And could you give a link to the publication the chart came from please?