News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Hooked on velocity, no , data, no , chronograph.

Started by Cold Trigger Finger, April 04, 2019, 02:32:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold Trigger Finger

So, I spent almost all day disassembling ammo I loaded in 06 +07 . It was great in the rifle I developed them in but that rifle is long gone.
 Now I have a new to me rifle in the same cartridge . But just didn't think it wise to start torching off ammo that tho was loaded to book powder charges. Those charges were max book.
 First thing I needed was a good reliable bear load as spring has come a month or more early. And the punks in fur coats are probably getting ready to be out and about.
 So, I pound about 100 bullets out of their homes. No small task considering I used a Lee Factory Crimp die to keep them from moving. Dump the powder, decap , anneal , trim and champfer . Then I primed a dozen as I was running short on time.
 Settle on a mid book load as my temporary stopping point having already done a bit of loading starting at starting charge weights last week.
 Load the dozen , go out on the back deck and torch a couple off to check for any problems.
 Everything looks very good.  So, I should be set.
 But there is this nagging bug in my head that wants to know how fast my bullets are going. Well, the book says X is the starting velocity . And Y is the velocity at max charge weight/pressure. I'm right in the middle so Z should be the velocity of these loads.
 Yup, that's what it should be. The bullets are going fast enough to do the job at hand if needed.
 But it bugs me to no end not knowing pretty much exactly how fast my bullets are going.
 If I had the time I could set up the chronograph and find out. But no time. Or daylight. So now I have to wait 18 hours or so to stop this from bugging me.  :-[
  Anyone else suffer from chronograph data itis ?
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

gman47564

Glen get ya a magnetospeed spotter. Their pretty cheap. Very reliable.. takes 2 minutes to strap it on .  You could step out in the dark and check mv if you wanted.
Grant

DHuffman

X 2 on the Magnetospeed if you just have to know how fast it's going. Like Grant says they're quick to set up and gather very accurate data in any weather or light or lack thereof.

I don't suffer from chronograph data itis but I am severely afflicted with what it looks like on the target itis.
Dave

jvw2008

What shows on the target is the final word. During load development though, I think that knowing your velocities from various charges and seating depths can help you interpret what you are seeing on the target.

mnbogboy

I've used mine in the dark several times.
But after the first time I really have to tell my wife first!????
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Popeye212

+3 on the MagnetoSpeed.  In Reloading 1.0 I didn't have one.  Now in Reloading 2.0 wonder how I did without it.  Huge difference in  how I reload now.

Cold Trigger Finger

If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

bikemutt

It's a bit of overkill maybe but if you can spring for a Labradar I don't think you'd regret it.

A new Magneto v3 is gonna run you close to $400 with s&h, a new Labradar will run about $600 with the base plate.

Labradar is so easy to setup and use you'll find yourself never wondering about velocity again. With the free phone app it's a breeze to use.

Just my 2 cents.

Chris

mnbogboy

Quote from: Cold Trigger Finger on April 04, 2019, 02:32:58 AMAnyone else suffer from chronograph data itis ?
Not quite the same "itis" but am digging my way out of another magneto speed rabbit hole as we speak.
My research before I bought it told me POI would change. Fine with that. Also I thought some said groups were same. Well I missed a lot there. I only use mine for velocity ladders and final checks.  The one I've been working with shot a 10 shot less than moa group in a nearly 2 grain spread (pretty ragged hole). 
Then won't shoot a consistent minute with any single one of those charges even the "sweet spot" ones.  Now I'm  pulling my hair out.
Turns out darn thing shoots way better with the magneto speed on.
Now after research I see some of you discovered the same thing....the magneto speed " tuner"!
Back to the drawing board today with some 130 vlds had laying around from old pull downs. Much more promise.  Either I find something that works or I will look pretty funny carrying that through the alder swamps with the baynet attached.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

DHuffman

@mnbogboy

I've experienced the tuner effect on mine as well. The bayonet has a tendency shrink groups as well as alter POI

Dave

jvw2008

Quote from: mnbogboy on April 04, 2019, 05:51:07 PMNot quite the same "itis" but am digging my way out of another magneto speed rabbit hole as we speak.
My research before I bought it told me POI would change. Fine with that. Also I thought some said groups were same. Well I missed a lot there. I only use mine for velocity ladders and final checks.  The one I've been working with shot a 10 shot less than moa group in a nearly 2 grain spread (pretty ragged hole). 
Then won't shoot a consistent minute with any single one of those charges even the "sweet spot" ones.  Now I'm  pulling my hair out.
Turns out darn thing shoots way better with the magneto speed on.
Now after research I see some of you discovered the same thing....the magneto speed " tuner"!
Back to the drawing board today with some 130 vlds had laying around from old pull downs. Much more promise.  Either I find something that works or I will look pretty funny carrying that through the alder swamps with the baynet attached.

This is one of the arguments for using a LabRadar, however some ingenious folks have developed some attachments for the MagnetoSpeed that prevent its interference with barrel harmonics.

For clarification: I don't think you should use velocity readings to develop a load. But while developing that load on paper it is helpful to look at the grouping on the target as it relates to actual velocity on occasion. I think this is especially true when developing a load for a fresh barrel that is undergoing velocity changes secondary to break in.

DHuffman

Last week I shot a group at 1000 with the BRA with the magspeed on. It stacked the first 3 with close fps then the 4th was about 4" above the 3 and the magspeed showed a 10 fps increase as would be expected. I've also been in node before where the barrel time is as close to perfect as possible and the fast ones come low and the slow rounds high but lay in a nice group with no outliers.

A lot of variables that one explanation doesn't always explain.
Dave

bikemutt

Yup, the Magneto bayonet tuning is real, I noticed it when I had one.

Going back to my electrical DC circuit studies, the Magnetospeed is kind of like an inline ammeter; no matter how accurate or sensitive it may be, it becomes part of the circuit being tested, albeit to a very small degree. Labradar is more like a clamp ammeter, it's not part of the circuit being tested. Whether or not that's important depends on how one wishes the use the gathered data.

Chris

gman47564

@glen.. I think you can get the magnetospeed sporter for under 200 dollars... it will record every shot if straped on right... it will change point of impact and it will also effect group size in my opinion... but if your looking for a reliable accurate way to measure mv its the way to go in my opinion also...I know jerry is old school when it comes to load development and doesn't feel like using the muzzle velocity flat spots is a reliable way to develop a load but in my opinion its a great way to find the nodes... every load I am currently shooting has been built off using the 10 shot velocity ladder method... I will agree after finding the node take the magneto speed off to tune it and see how it shoots... let the target tell you where your gun wants to shoot.. but using a reliable chrono to locate them flat spots is a valuable tool when it comes to load development..  will also agree that doing load development with a new pipe is kinda futile... you can develop a load for it but its going to change and keep changing till the barrel settles down... my .02 cents worth..
Grant

jvw2008

Quote from: HufD63 on April 04, 2019, 06:32:20 PMLast week I shot a group at 1000 with the BRA with the magspeed on. It stacked the first 3 with close fps then the 4th was about 4" above the 3 and the magspeed showed a 10 fps increase as would be expected. I've also been in node before where the barrel time is as close to perfect as possible and the fast ones come low and the slow rounds high but lay in a nice group with no outliers.

A lot of variables that one explanation doesn't always explain.

Positive compensation.