News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Please educate me on Red Dot optical sights

Started by Cold Trigger Finger, January 05, 2019, 06:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold Trigger Finger

If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

bob_atl

The Holosun in your link is thought to be the same internals as a Sig Romeo5.
I have two of the Romeo5 and recommend them as a solid value. They can be had currently for $120 at PSA.
The wake up feature is great for saving battery life and one less thing to worry about in an emergency.
They get good reviews too.
... rule #9 ...

Westie1

To a degree, the cost does indicate quality and durability. Aimpont and Eotech, at the top end of pricing, are what the troops and LEO's use. Several other things to consider when looking at a red dot. 1-Do you have astigmatism? If you do the, dot won't be as sharp as it should be.  2- Do you prefer 1/3 lower co-witness or  co-witness.  That will determine how high any mount will need to be. 3- What is you intended use? That will influence the dot size you go with.

Cold Trigger Finger

I was thinking a 2 moa dot. But I don't actually know. Mostly I want it to simplify sighting for my wife. On a home defense carbine and squirrel rifle/predator rifle.
  Not sure if I have an astigmatism. But My eyes ain't too good . VERY near sighted with age related hardening of the corneas. I wear corrective lenses.
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

Cold Trigger Finger

I think a 4 moa dot would work . but as long as we can see a 2 moa dot easily that would be best I think. I don't have any trouble with the illuminated reticles I have and have had. But I don't know if they are different.

Thanks for the help guys, I very much appreciate it !

Cold Trigger Finger

Westie 1 , if I haven't already, Welcome to the Creedmoor forum !
 Bob, your an old hand here now so I think I welcomed you when you joined. I hope I did at least. ????
 Are these red dot sights like a modern rifle scope that has a fast focus eyepiece ?

Westie1

If you look through a red dot and the dot is star or comma shaped, you have astigmatism. Personally, been wearing bifocals for 25+ years, and have astigmatism so know what it is like. Advantage of the red dot occurs once it is mounted and sighted in. You don't have to have perfect positioning of the rifle when shouldered. As long as you can see the dot, that is your POI. So, it is faster to use than a normal scope. There isn't quite the precision that a set of crosshairs will give you, but for HD I'll take the speed of use over being able to pick out a particular button hole.

When i have a dot mounted on my AR, I use a Vortex Strikefire2, with the red/green option. It's not as bright as standard red dot, but for me helps deal with my astigmatism.

Of the two you've listed, I would go with the Holosun. Batteries do fail and the solar cell can be a lifesaver. Otherwise look for red dots that have extended battery life. Generally, they will be motion activated so you can turn it onand if there is no movement for generally around 5 minutes they go to sleep until motion is detected.

Cold Trigger Finger

OK, good to know ! I like the idea of the shake awake tek, as long as its reliable. And solar powered is good . As long as it recharges the battery and the battery is attached to the shake awake feature.
 The Bushnell I listed will probably be the first one I get as it is in a good price point and it can go to other guns once I upgrade.
  I also need to go to optics on our handguns as seeing the front sight clearly is getting difficult. I am concerned about rd sights longevity.
  The Bushnell will probably end up on our 22 rf Browning Buckmark.

Fuj

EO-Tech Guy here, and I've tested quite a few dot optics.
Arguably one of the fastest, in your face optics. It's a 1 MOA
dot with a 68 MOA lit ring around it. You can dim or brighten
the Dot to your liking, and conditions. The Eotech is also set
to match up the stock front site for co-witness. With a rear
flip up back site, and co-witnessed, Your good to go if the
batteries give out. You have 2 battery settings, so it will shut
done, and save battery life......off the bench, I can usually hit
the 8" gong at 300.....I would recommend getting the smallest
MOA dot possible. Large dots are fine up close, but further out
will cover too much target.....

Pic of my Delta Mid HBR - RRA - AAD (anti asshole device)
Even the bells and whistles have bells and whistle. Magpul
D-60 magazine for clearing brush.....LOL

Fuj

One other item on my AAD, you may be interested in, because
of the cold weather. Larger trigger guard opening for using gloves.
I got mine direct from RRA. Magpul makes one but, the RRA gives
you a larger opening.

ohiococonut

I have EO Tech's and a Vortex Strikefire 2 but prefer the EO Tech. They are low mount and fast acquisition.
Fug, here is my AAD. Lol! The front fore grip allows me to easily trigger the TLR for close quarters.
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you. It's what you leave behind you when you go.

Fuj

I see no pic ??

How's that Strike Fire 2 holding up ?? The original Strike Fire
had way too many warranty issues. I guess the fix was version
2. Quite a few of our close in, 3 gunners, are using the Strike
Fire 2. The top 25 % are broken up between the EO Techs and
the ACOGS. Sold the ACOG off last year and dug out a rat holed
Burris A536. I had it on my Grandsons rim fire, but its a bit high.
Good optics, just needs some low rider work done.

Cold Trigger Finger

Wow ! Cool .
 I noticed the enlarged trigger guard immediately. It looks big enough to fit my Refridgeware gloves in without bumping the bang switch.
 The MilSpec trigger guard is fine for bare hands or a driving glove. But with the ambient temp being what it is, driving gloves don't help much.

Cold Trigger Finger

Thanks for the help everyone !
 PSA may still have that $119. sale going on the Sig red dot. I'll give it another look over.

Cold Trigger Finger

I just ordered a Bushnell TRS25 . It was 63 bucks with the riser mount. I don't fully understand the 1/3rd co witness or full co witness. Thing yet. But, as I don't have a rear sight on my rifle yet. I don't think it will be an issue yet. I mainly wanted to ( dip my toe in the water) before sinking a bunch of money into something I may not like. A low power variable will probably end up on my carbine. But this should get me shooting sooner rather than later. The Sig Remeo 5 may be what I graduate to. I was worried about the battery life but one guy said he turns his down to 1 power on the battery dial and the battery lasts for a few months.
  As the AR is not an automatically instinctive platform for me at this point. Unlike M77 Mk2 Ruger bolt rifles or Glock or XD pistols.
 Its going to take me some time to get up to speed on the safety lever. ( have forgot to move the safety lever to Fire several times so far when checking different hand loads for function) " seating depth , powder charge , bullet shape , ect "
  I am thinking the red dot will 've a great sight for my wife to use also. She doesn't do iron sights worth a hoot.  And the red dot is much lighter in weight than a lpv scope and mount .