News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

Speer 6.5 Ammo

Started by Learning One, September 29, 2018, 10:03:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkker

Yeah, finally to the private market.
Gold for rifle bullets in loaded ammo have been supplied to the G for several years now.
FYI, the Gold Dots in 223 are fantastic varmint medicine 8)
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Cold Trigger Finger

I wonder if they will create any pressure issues like the Speer Deep Curl ?
  Kinda sounds like the same basic bullet that the Deep Curl was.
  Generated higher pressure and lower velocity.
 Maybe they use a different metal for the jackets ??
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

Darkker

They do seem to be different. I haven't sat down with the pressure trace and really sorted the pepper from the fly poop; but it's nothing like the deep curls.
You can get yourself into REAL trouble quickly if you pretend the DC are regular bullets. Did some pressure testing a couple years ago with them, and got some really wicked secondary ignitions and burning curve runaway's from a mid book load when swapping those bullets in. Actually glad the PT was hooked up, or there likely could have been an explosion if simply watching for "signs".

Cold Trigger Finger

I've got a box of 338 , 225 gr Deep Curl.
 I tumbled them in HBN. I'm going to start at a starting load and slowly work up with a chronograph. 
 I also understand the deep curls Really flatten out. Should make a good moose bullet. But I'm NOT going for big velocity with them.
 Would be very interested in your pressure data if you do decide to do pressure work with the new Speer bullets.
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

Darkker

I wanted to this past Christmas break, but it wasn't in the cards. The time I had available was spent debunking a nonsense claim about the Sierra TMNT bullets. Anywho, when I can get it done, I'll happily post the results.

Cheers