Skip to main content
Topic: scale (Read 759 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: scale

Reply #30
In regards to reading the beam scale.
I bought a web camera, aim it at my beam pointer. Looks nice and big on my laptop. No more bending over to read the scale or reaching up to an elevated scale.

I was thinking along the same lines; a camera in my scope lens that projects on a smartphone. No more stiff neck, sit up, aim, boom.
Chris

Reply #31
The post above about having a wide accuracy node is spot on. If the node is too narrow try a different powder or seating depth. As far as digital scales you get what you pay for.  The cheap digitals are all strain gauges and will tend to drift etc. and can be hard to trickle with.  Been down that path and back to the balance beam. The Hornady auto scale is terrible. The old chargemaster is better not sure about the new lite models. A magnetic force digital and auto trickler is the ticket if you can afford it.

Reply #32
In regards to reading the beam scale.
I bought a web camera, aim it at my beam pointer. Looks nice and big on my laptop. No more bending over to read the scale or reaching up to an elevated scale.

Buy this man a beer !!  Hell, I think my one 32" RCA has a USB port.
Yes Sir !!.....I'll now also see them kernels looking like logs as they
drop in.....LOL
Keeping my bad Kharma intact since 1952

Reply #33
My friend uses his ice fishing camera. 

Reply #34
hambone when I say .9 grains wide in a ocw test a guy should see 3 different charge weights with the same poi... that's .9 gr. wide... we want to be in the middle of that the best we can...that .9 grains is showing the start of the node. going through the node and the beginning of the end of the node...

Ok Gman I got it now, I was thinking there's a new node  ;-)  of some sort I've been missing the last 40 years. ha. Node's still a node, same node. Where they all go in the hole for a given powder charge with the barrel harmonics. Or another way to think of it when ALL things are in perfect tune. (and it don't take much to change that) Always learning, Thanks, back to reloading.
As a young man they said your starting out in the machine shop as a Hambone. Here's a broom, scoop and wheel barrel. Those were some fun days.

Reply #35
I use a Harrell's BR powder measure, an A&D FX500i scale and a modified RCBS trickler. The A&D will measure one granule of H3450 and although it's more accurate than my old RCBS 10-10 and Lyman balance scales, I can't see any difference in accuracy at 100 and 200 meters.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...
 ...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!

Reply #36
.......... snip.......... I am looking to purchase a new scale and any advice would be appreciated.

Knowing what I know now, I would suggest that a person new to reloading purchase a digital scale costing 35 bucks and certainly no more than 50 bucks along with a cheap trickler, a set of Lee powder dippers and a pair of tweezers.  Use that until it until the shooter is sure he/she is into reloading for the long haul. 

If the shooter decides that precision target shooting is fun, then, figure out how to budget for an FX-120 and Autotrickler without wasting time/money on a Chargemaster or a slightly better scale along the way (like most of us do, including me).  In other words, get the minimum equipment required to learn on, and then if you're serious, jump all the way to the good stuff unless you are a glutton for punishment, tedium, and frustration.

Reply #37
^^^^^^^^ Very wise advice ^^^^^^^

Reply #38
Since this has turned into a knowing what I know now thread if I were starting out I would buy the Bald Eagle digital for $75 and be capable of weighing to .02 grain/1 kernel from the get go. For $25 - $40 more it's a quantum leap in quality and accuracy over the "cheap" $35 - $50 didital.

It can run off AC or if it gets to zero drifting running it off batteries seems to eliminate the drifting. Otherwise Mozzela's list is pretty solid. If I had figured out the battery trick to stop the drifting before buying the A&D 200 I'd probably still be using the Bald Eagle and never bought the A & D
Dave

Reply #39
..There are a great number of these Ohaus scales available and show up often.  The down side is that they are not factory supported anymore and parts are hard to find. ..

I have had a used Ohaus from ebay for several months, with Eric's help.  TKS
Have had a series of digital strain gauge scales in the past, including a GEMPRO-300, which died after 4 months.
The money back from the GEMPRO-300 bought the ebay scale.
All the strain gauge scales I had were disappointing,  with  at least +/- 0.05 gn errors, both in zero and linearity.

My loads are now more than an order magnitude more accurate !

Not using the serial printout data yet, but its on the to-do list.
... rule #9 ...

Reply #40
I built a small stand with a shelf under it that brings my RCBS up to eye level. Makes loading a lot nicer.