Skip to main content
Topic: Welcoming comments on my 1st velozity node test (Read 776 times) previous topic - next topic

Welcoming comments on my 1st velozity node test

Hi All
Been reloading for 20 years or so, but just occasionally. So, i still consider myself to have enough knowledge to get myself in trouble.

I purchased a Tikka CTR in 24" about 8 months ago and have been experimenting with 143 ELD-X and recently found H4350. My typical load development process had been to load 5 rounds and move up 1/2 grain and load 5 more untili had 5 to 6 sets of 5 to test.  Using this i settled on 40.6gr grouping around 1/2" , but not consistent. (Meaning sometimes .4 and sometimes .9, hech that could certainly be me

Well, enjoying reloading, reading this forum, and watching some of the youtube channels i follow i decided to test if where i settled was a node by using a chronograph and look for flatspots and had some very interresting results

Attached is a graph, here are the details:

I shot 5 rounds to warm and foul the barrel
The test rounds were .02 0ff lands measured with 4-25 comparator
Starline large primer brass, 1st firing
CCI 200 primers
Sansbags frontand back
3/4" dots
Also attached is a pic of the 14 shot string

The velocities of my warm up rounds starting with cold were 2578, 2591, 2595, 2618, 2604

Curious of your thoughts

Re: Welcoming comments on my 1st velozity node test

Reply #1
Two questions:

1) do you want to be in this low of a velocity range?

2) what chronograph are you using?

Reply #2
Thanks for the reply
Not sure if i want to be high or low although i typically go for the higher node if given the choice

Funny you ask about the chronograph, i am using a Caldwell. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. Today it gave readings every time. I laughed because was checking out the magnetospeed several times today

Reply #3
YakHooker: Like JVW elaborated to if you want to get alittle more velocity there is usually a node in the 2700 FPS range- Some have found one around the 2730 mark..
Marvin

Reply #4
YakHooker: Like JVW elaborated to if you want to get alittle more velocity there is usually a node in the 2700 FPS range- Some have found one around the 2730 mark..

Good to know as imwas not seeing any pressure sign at the top end

Reply #5
for what ever reason the tikkas seem to run a little slow... shoot great but run slow...my tx3 lite is about a 100 fps slower than my savages all with 24 inch barrels
Grant

Reply #6
The low 2700 node is a good choice. It’s still pretty gentle on your barrel but gets enough velocity to push accurately out to 1000 yards.

Reply #7
The low 2700 node is a good choice. It’s still pretty gentle on your barrel but gets enough velocity to push accurately out to 1000 yards.

When i get down to my brother's place in TN this fall i hope to try some longer shooting. The longest distance i am getting in eastern PA is 200yds.

Reply #8
for what ever reason the tikkas seem to run a little slow... shoot great but run slow...my tx3 lite is about a 100 fps slower than my savages all with 24 inch barrels
Interresting,  thanks for sharing. This gun is amazingly accurate and i have shot all my best groups with it... addicting for sure

Reply #9
I have the same gun 41.5grs of 4350 gives me 2698 f/s. My guess is that you will be very close to the same.

Reply #10
My read of the velocity vs charge plot is that charge weights between 40.6 and 41.0 gr would be a good place to work up one’s most accurate 100 yard load.

This region appears to be more slowly varyong on velpcith than other areas, so the inevitable small changes in charge weight will have less influence on long range impact points whch means better long range accuracy.

Reply #11
My read of the velocity vs charge plot is that charge weights between 40.6 and 41.0 gr would be a good place to work up one’s most accurate 100 yard load.

This region appears to be more slowly varyong on velpcith than other areas, so the inevitable small changes in charge weight will have less influence on long range impact points whch means better long range accuracy.

That was my 1st read on the chart too. I was also thinking that my initial choice of 40.6 and now seeing lower and some higher velocities  at that charge weight, is that 40.6 is the beginning of the node and more experimenting just north of that makes sense

I also want to play around with finding the node around the 2700 mark

Thanks

Reply #12
Well, after looking at the replies and the data i decided to explore the 40.7 to 41.1 range. I loaded 3 rounds each at .2 gr increments and I plan to shoot them round robin. I may still explore a 2700fps node later... but couldnt ignore my gut to look closer.

I post the results, but may be a couple weeks until i get to the range

Reply #13
YakHooker: It would be easy for you to see if there is a node in the 42.0 grain range as you were almost there with 41.5..

Try 42, 42.1, 42.2, 42.3 and 42.4 load of three of each and shoot thru the chronograph for the small dot. You will then see where the Velocity lies and also can see if any of them group worth a darn.. Again I have heard and seen many of great loads in the 42-42.5 grain of H-4350 going 2700-2730 FPS..

But only if you want to get to the next node- As others have said you are shooting great and sometimes it just not worth the time or effort to mess around when something is good great..

Wonderful Driving by the Way!!!!!  ;)  ;)
Marvin

Reply #14
YakHooker: It would be easy for you to see if there is a node in the 42.0 grain range as you were almost there with 41.5..

Try 42, 42.1, 42.2, 42.3 and 42.4 load of three of each and shoot thru the chronograph for the small dot. You will then see where the Velocity lies and also can see if any of them group worth a darn.. Again I have heard and seen many of great loads in the 42-42.5 grain of H-4350 going 2700-2730 FPS..

But only if you want to get to the next node- As others have said you are shooting great and sometimes it just not worth the time or effort to mess around when something is good great..

[/quo

Thanks! This accuracy and speed game is freakin addicting and i am definitely going to explore that 2700 node too!
Appreciate the feedback and advice