Skip to main content
Topic: Whidden Gunworks Bullet Pointing Die (Read 332 times) previous topic - next topic

Whidden Gunworks Bullet Pointing Die

Does anyone have experience with this system?  I have a lot of respect for Whidden Gunworks so when they offer something I tend to take it serious.  But this looks like another rabbit hole to go down and not sure if it is worth the cost and time.   If anyone has used it (for good or bad), I would love to hear about it.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/whidden-bullet-pointing-die

Thanks, Bob

Re: Whidden Gunworks Bullet Pointing Die

Reply #1
Both Whidden and Hoover make excellent pointing dies. If you are:

1) shooting 600 yards or further,
2) you are shooting commonly available bullets (ie. not custom),
and
3) you are shooting specifically for groups,

than going thru that rabbit hole might be beneficial for you.

Reply #2
Thanks for the perspective.  I am not always pursuing the three elements you listed but there are many times when I am.  So that was why I could see the benefit of what Whidden was providing.  Just didn't know for sure if it really worked....often there are a lot of things that promise great results but don't come thru.  But given it was Whidden, I wanted to check it out.

If I decide to go down that route, I will definitely publish any results I get.

Bob

Reply #3
I know a bunch of guys that jumped on that band wagon in 2015 that are serious shooters that no longer do it. I never fell for it.
Stop the Gun Rights Abuse @ #Me2A

Reply #4
I’ll admit, in the long run, it would be cheaper to point your own. But, I have corrosive skin like the blood from the alien, and only touch the bullets one time when setting them on the case for seating. Then, you also have my shooting skills to consider... not much point making a Bullet any more accurate than it already is when I can’t really get much done with it like it is. Finally, Sierra sells 123 and 142 Matchkings that are pointed at the factory, and I don’t mean the tipped matchkings. So, if you absolutely MUST talk yourself out of more reloading equipment, those are my excuses for not pointing bullets. I sleep ok at night, sometimes.
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
I have a lot of guns... There, I said it.

Reply #5
I dunno what all this talk about pointing bullets. All of the ones I shoot have points on them all ready. 😁
Grant

Reply #6
Yep, my bullets are pointed at well.  So I guess it goes that 'even though the bullets have points, some are pointed better than others'.  I went and looked at the DTAC'sand SMK's that I shoot, and the points look pretty darn good and very consistent.  So not sure how much improvement this would really make.  I was hoping that someone actually used one and would have glowing results about how they did a single hole 5 shot group at 1000 yards  ;)

Bob

Reply #7
All my bullets are pointed already ;)

Even the ones without Heat Shield tips don't look bad but they are only .308 anyways. LOL

Reply #8
Pointing will close the meplat a little tighter and improve the B.C..  The improvement on 140 Berger Hybrids is small but measurable at 600yds (1/4 MOA) using the Whidden die and closing them to 0.010" without trimming.  If you have a bullet with very ragged meplats then a trim then point might be indicated. 

The gains are there but minimal.  I have been shooting some late model 142 SMK's and they are pointed enough that I don't point any further.  The same with the 'custom' bullets I shoot.  I pay a bit more for my favorite customs but I don't have to sort or point them....(time is money).  I have fellow competitors that shoot only Bergers and they spend a lot of time sorting and pointing but they would rather do that than pay for a custom bullet.

If I was shooting informally I would shoot cheaper bullet and not mess with them at all.  That being said, I had a friend and 1000yd F-TR national record holder shoot with me at a 1000yd F-class match this weekend and he was testing Hornady ELD-M 225gr in his .308 and he shot decent scores.  They shot well enough that he will test them again in some more stable conditions.  Rob holds his own with them ;) .